Thread: ALX vs Dobyns

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    It really depends on personal preference. I would say both make quality rods. Part of the fun is trying different brands.

I have both a Dobyns heavy crankbait rod that rocks and an extremely versatile Toadface I purchased this year. I'm going to have to buy another Toadface since I've figured out that it easily skips baits better than any other rod I've every tried (The one I have is usually reserved for frogs and big topwater). I've not yet fished enough bottom contact baits with the Toadface to comment on sensitivity. Also looking at another Dobyns rod for chatterbaits since I've had trouble keeping chatterbait fish from slipping off with the standard MH graphite rods

For weight and sensitivity bottom contact rods, it's hard to beat Loomis. GLX, NRX, and Conquest are definitely in a different league but so are the prices.

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’ve never fished a Dobyns rod, and the 2 ALX rods I have I got used so I’ve never actually given Alex a dime...but I will the next rod I want! The ALX rods are definitely more plain, reduces weight! They’re incredibly sensitive, great power and they’re 2 of my favorite rods.

Alex has answered at least 5-7 questions from me through PM, and I still haven’t gotten a rod from him yet! The company and the equipment have me sold on them. I’m sure people have problems with their rods, or they don’t fit their style...no company can make everyone happy.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    Dean,

We don't have micro guides. It's that simple. We have a great video and blog on our website explaining this.

We warranty against defects - exactly the same as any of our competitors. Length of warranty is based on rod series. Same as many of our competitors. Our replacement programs are comparable in cost as well to similar types of rods. Not sure what is worse about ours? Have you had experience with our warranty or replacement programs?

Sorry you don't like our spinning seats. Since you have only tried our casting rods, I'm not sure how you know the seats are terrible? We use an oversized, uplocking on IKOS/ZOLO and a split seat on ENOX while DR uses a downlocking VSS seat (I believe on all series)... totally different set ups.

As much as I'd like ALX be perfect for all, we aren't. The great news is there are lots of great options out there!

- Alex
    Any idea when you will get your rod stock back ? I'm having trouble finding Zolo's. Thanks

4. Banned
    I just prefer a tapered for grip i choke up on my spinning rods if you can copy a for grip for me id buy a spinning rod from you because id like to try a spinning rod of yours i have fished kistler spinning rods which have a similar reel seat either way pm me if youd be willing to do a custom seat id love to give one a go

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickworm420 View Post
    I just prefer a tapered for grip i choke up on my spinning rods if you can copy a for grip for me id buy a spinning rod from you because id like to try a spinning rod of yours i have fished kistler spinning rods which have a similar reel seat either way pm me if youd be willing to do a custom seat id love to give one a go
    Toll free number. (866) 628-5052 You can call them yourself. Customer service is great.

-
    Phone call away... or even email. contact@alxrods.com or 866-628-5052

I'm sure we can make something work right!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    Any idea when you will get your rod stock back ? I'm having trouble finding Zolo's. Thanks
    We are trying. We have had massive issues with fiber supply as the factory that makes the carbon fiber took a big hit with COVID that slowed down supply. We are working thru that, but when you add a massive increase in people buying fishing equipment with a decrease in supply, it gets goofy. We were blessed to be doing well up until the middle of last month with supply and then it kind of hit like a wall. Right now the bulk of what goes out is already sold. If there is something in particular you want, shoot me a message and I can give you an idea on when it will be in stock. We're building rods, they just pretty much sell as soon as they are in stock.

This is all based on personal preference i use a ton of spinning set ups and dobyns or alx both have terrible reel seats on there spinning rods also alx has micro guides which i dont like much ive tried 2 alx casting rods and wasn't as impressed as every on here every opinion is biased you should be asking pros and cons vs the 2 all your getting is a bunch of alx koolaid drinkers on here also if you are hard on your gear alx warranty doesnt hold a candle to dobyns or loomis
    In my job I wish everyone bought our product but we have competitors and competition

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    We are trying. We have had massive issues with fiber supply as the factory that makes the carbon fiber took a big hit with COVID that slowed down supply. We are working thru that, but when you add a massive increase in people buying fishing equipment with a decrease in supply, it gets goofy. We were blessed to be doing well up until the middle of last month with supply and then it kind of hit like a wall. Right now the bulk of what goes out is already sold. If there is something in particular you want, shoot me a message and I can give you an idea on when it will be in stock. We're building rods, they just pretty much sell as soon as they are in stock.
    pm sent , thanks.

10. Member
    I guess I'll be in the minority and say that based on the many reviews on this board, I purchased an ALX Zolo Maestro spinning rod and it has underwhelmed me. It's a nice enough rod quality wise, but overall I'm unimpressed. It now hangs on my rod rack, unused. I have numerous rods that are lighter and more sensitive in the same price range. I had every intention of buying more ALX rods based on the hype, but after owning one, I decided to stop with that one.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    I guess I'll be in the minority and say that based on the many reviews on this board, I purchased an ALX Zolo Maestro spinning rod and it has underwhelmed me. It's a nice enough rod quality wise, but overall I'm unimpressed. It now hangs on my rod rack, unused. I have numerous rods that are lighter and more sensitive in the same price range. I had every intention of buying more ALX rods based on the hype, but after owning one, I decided to stop with that one.
    I feel the same and they are tip heavy. I sold every ALX rod I had.

Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    I feel the same and they are tip heavy. I sold every ALX rod I had.
    I took a look to see which models you had - and the only ones we have records on were custom builds. Both of those were built a good bit different than our production rods - grips, seats, etc.
    Drop me a PM and let me know which production rods you had. I'd like to hear which models you had.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    PM sent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12