More trolling motor questions

Alright guys I’m having trouble deciding between trolling motors and need help so any input will be helpful. I’m going to a hand controlled to a foot controlled. I’ve kinda narrowed it down to an ultrex or the xi5 with a foot pedal. I understand they are to different beasts but looking for some honest input for either or.

Another thing, I’m wanting one that has spot lock and the amenities that come along with it like that so that might be a deciding factor.
    97 Allison XB2003/ 250 Proxs

I went with a Terrova. Its not a fast or responsive as the Ultrex. But its not a big and bulky and its lighter. It has spot lock. I like it.
    Last edited by K-DAWG; 06-16-2020 at 07:28 PM.

As K-Dawg mentions the Terrova is the Minnkota version of the xi5. I have that one as well. I fish with no foot pedal. I'm a fan of small and light. Many opinions on this, but if I was looking for a foot pedal troller the xi5 or Terrova won't have the feel, turning speed, and control the Ultrex has. Ultrex can also be compared to the new Garmin and Lowrance trolling motors. For me I like the floor open and I'm fine with the compromise the Terrova offers. I have been fishing with a hand held remote for over 15 years so a foot pedal is completely unusable to me.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Between the 2 mentioned...Ultrex.

another honorable mention is the Lowrance Ghost. Ive installed a bunch of Garmin Force as well but havent got to spend any mentionable time on the water yet.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

5. Member
    I would also look at the Ghost, here's an article I wrote about it. https://www.m3outdoors.com/post/why-...lowrance-ghost
    Mike Malinao
    2010 XB-21 BasSport 2+2 250 Mercury Pro XS
    https://www.facebook.com/mikemalinaofishing

Thanks for the input guys looks like I need to do some more reasearch haha. Anyone know the weight of the Lowrance trolling motor by chance?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by draketm View Post
    Thanks for the input guys looks like I need to do some more reasearch haha. Anyone know the weight of the Lowrance trolling motor by chance?
    It's lighter than the Ultrex, but I don't remember the weight.
    Mike Malinao
    2010 XB-21 BasSport 2+2 250 Mercury Pro XS
    https://www.facebook.com/mikemalinaofishing

8. Member
    I hate the foot pedal on my XI 5, it's either too responsive, I go to hit the forward button and the motor turns at the same time. Just no feel like a direct cabled foot pedal. How does the Ghost measure up. I would love to have a cable operated with spot lock.

Quote Originally Posted by JMCasper View Post
    I hate the foot pedal on my XI 5, it's either too responsive, I go to hit the forward button and the motor turns at the same time. Just no feel like a direct cabled foot pedal. How does the Ghost measure up. I would love to have a cable operated with spot lock.
    Thats what I was worried about with the foot pedal. Looks like ill have to try and talk the Mrs. and try and talk her into an ultrex, ghost or something along those lines.

10. Member
    I put an xi5 on my xb2003 a few months back (52 inch shaft because I bought it used and got a good deal on it) and I LOVE it. However, it isn’t for everyone. My most common fishing style is for sandbass/striper/hybrids out in open water and I have 2 young kids so being able to spot lock and take care of the kids without blowing off a spot is a game changer. If I exclusively bass fished I would probably miss my cable control more. I haven’t used the foot pedal at all, just the remote, but as I realized bass fishing a shoreline a couple weeks ago you can’t cast well and operate a remote at the same time. I actually just put it on a slow heading lock and occasionally adjusted it and it was fine but a cable steer would of been easier. I could use the xi5 foot pedal but it just isn’t as intuitive. Anyway, hope that helps.