Fishing Water Willow

ok... I give! Watching Bassmasters and 1 of the guys is fishing a frog in the water willow without getting hung up. Doesn't seem to matter what I throw in water willow (jig, plastic, frog, whatever) I always get hung on almost every cast. Anyone know what the secret is (other than give up trying)? Thanks!!
    Last edited by Astro-T; 06-11-2020 at 03:55 PM.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro-T View Post
    ok... I give! Watching Bassmasters and 1 of the guys is fishing a frog in the water willow without getting hung up. Doesn't seem to matter what I throw in water willow (jig, plastic, frog, whatever) I always get hung on almost every cast. Anyone know what the secret is (other than give up trying)? Thanks!!
    You sure it's water Willow? I get hung up, but nowhere near every cast

3. Member
    My home lake has nothing but water willow. It can be frustrating! I don't get hung up that much but have too many fish to count when they bury me in the bottom of the grass. It's like rope. I've broken off fish using up to 25 lb. line. You have to be quick to hit them from keeping them get in the root system of the willows. I do use braid occasionally but don't get as many bites. But to answer your question don't get hung up that much.

I suppose I'll just keep trying. Don't get to fish it that often. Maybe thats part of the problem! Thanks!

Flip the water willow with braid. It will cut right through the weeds.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Thanks Jeff!