unknown boat brand questions

Afternoon all, I picked up a 16' riveted jon boat last year with the plans of turning into "bass" style boat. As always, there is never enough time in the day/year for all projects. Anyway, boat is 16' long the floor is 52" wide at the rear, there are no make/model or HULL ID VIN/plate. I fought it from an older couple that lived on a private lake, they said they have had it for about 15 years. Its a little rough around the edges, but only paid $400 and came with a older 3HP johnson which I sold for $300. So only in the boat for $100 and I had a older junk speed boat with a good trailer that I could use.

So anyone have any clue what make/model this could be? I will be replacing the current transom, but also curious what thoughts are for max HP? I am unsure if I want to go tiller or set up for a counsel, will probably depend on what I can find for an outboard.

20200610_134605_resized.jpg 20200610_134725_resized.jpg 20200610_134057_resized.jpg

2. Member
    Depends on the State, but in TX, any boat without a HIN may be considered stolen unless you can prove otherwise. It will be tough to get it registered.

In some areas, Parks/Wildlife will inspect a boat and assign a HIN. Call your authorities before putting money into it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    Depends on the State, but in TX, any boat without a HIN may be considered stolen unless you can prove otherwise. It will be tough to get it registered.

In some areas, Parks/Wildlife will inspect a boat and assign a HIN. Call your authorities before putting money into it.
    Already have the paper work started and off to the state for a new number. Basically go to the BMV, get some paperwork, have a police officer come out and do an inspection and sign the paper work, send papers off with some $$$. Get a new number.

4. Member
    No idea what was so top secret that you had to black it out in the photo, but if that's a registration number, call dnr. They'll know what it is by the registration number.

Also, I'm uncertain why your boat needs a lawyer?

Looks like a Desota. I have a 14 foot one that’s looks just like that one, just a little smaller. The plug location is the same too