Thread: Ultrex issue?

Ultrex issue?

My ultrex has been sounding weird and acting sluggish lately. Pull the prop off and see these grooves (I put the grease on.) Any issue?
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's strange !! Are you using the prop that came with it or an aftermarket one. I wouldn't put grease on there, but I would put at least one washer on before the prop or even 2 to move the prop out on the shaft further. Strange, very strange !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Was the drive pin that goes into the shaft missing? It is not there in the picture, They quite often fall out when the prop is removed
    Inspect the prop where it seats against the pin for damage
    possible something failed in the motor allowing the armature to move forward such as thrust washer
    Thank You Leon Pugh

The prop would not spin if the pin was missing. If its the right prop and the pin slot is ok. Check those two bolts for tightness if they are backed out far enough to allow the prop to rub then theres also water inside... if all that checks out then it's internal. best i recall there is a couple of washers and a nylon flange on that end of the armature to keep it from moving.

5. Member
    Pin is on, prop is stock. I'll check the bolts today. This all sucks! At any point does MK just replace the motor?

6. Member
    Don't be consern with the grove. Was the flange on the prop loose? that is what usually make the grooves. If the flange is loose then replace the prop. Glueing it back sometime will throw the prop out of ballance. Check travel back and forward on the prop shaft. If it is more than an 1/8 of an inch then you have a problem in the motor.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Don't be consern with the grove. Was the flange on the prop loose? that is what usually make the grooves. If the flange is loose then replace the prop. Glueing it back sometime will throw the prop out of ballance. Check travel back and forward on the prop shaft. If it is more than an 1/8 of an inch then you have a problem in the motor.
    Flange fully comes off! Any idea why this happens? Can I run it this way?

8. Member
    That is what cause the circle. You can try gluing it back. Use a liberal amount. If you put too much in one spot it could cause the prop to become out of balance. Not sure why it happens, but it does. You should not be concerned. it is not an issue. If it's not what you want to see then bring to an ASC to replace the brush end housing with a new one. Note it will probably happen again.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    That is what cause the circle. You can try gluing it back. Use a liberal amount. If you put too much in one spot it could cause the prop to become out of balance. Not sure why it happens, but it does. You should not be concerned. it is not an issue. If it's not what you want to see then bring to an ASC to replace the brush end housing with a new one. Note it will probably happen again.
    I think I'll try this. Before I put glue on it, do you know if superglue will work?

Thanks