Braid to Fluorocarbon leader length

Met Shaw Grigsby at a sportsman show last March. He leader length on his setups are 20-30 (Braid to FC) He also has a you tube video showing it as does Mark Davies. Has anyone tried this?

I run probably 18-20 feet on my drop shot. Allows for more reties, behaves a little better in the wind, fluoro comes off the spool easier in the event I want to drop on one, plus I have the knot on my spool when I get a fish up close to the boat which prevents any potential issues with the knot catching if the fish decides to make a run.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    I have no issues even with the knot in the spool casting or spinning however I don’t go over #30 braid and a 20# leader
    Nitro z21

4. Member
    1.5 times my wingspan. Works well enough for me..

5. Member
    Typically 2-3 times my wingspan depending on water clarity and how often I expect to retie
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    1.5 times my wingspan. Works well enough for me..
    This is pretty much what I do. I use the Crazy Alberto and it’s a slim knot (not as slim as the FG), but I like keeping the knot out of the reel spool. Saw a Brent Ehrler video where he said the same thing so I tried it. It’s been working well for me

Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    This is pretty much what I do. I use the Crazy Alberto and it’s a slim knot (not as slim as the FG), but I like keeping the knot out of the reel spool. Saw a Brent Ehrler video where he said the same thing so I tried it. It’s been working well for me
    He likes a 12 foot leader. Problem is if you get hung up a lot you will be tying leaders all day.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Ditto on the knot as well. Funny I got the setup from the same video. He's the best finesse angler in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Ditto on the knot as well. Funny I got the setup from the same video. He's the best finesse angler in the game.
    Great setup, just wondering if a longer leader would be less hassle.

10. Member
    drop shot I run 20-24 feet - when fighting the fish alongside the boat i want the flouro in the spool.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VH5150 View Post
    Great setup, just wondering if a longer leader would be less hassle.
    Personal preference. I use around cover like docks, etc at times so my leader takes a beating. By the time I retie a few times it's taken a beating enough to replace the whole thing.

12. Member
    i generally run 30-40 foot leaders- longer because the socal lakes I fish are gin clear and deep. even more than the visibility issue, i dont get consistent sink rate on my weightless plastics (braid sinks much slower than fluoro) with shorter leaders which is a problem when fishing 20-30 foot ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by goblue884 View Post
    i generally run 30-40 foot leaders- longer because the socal lakes I fish are gin clear and deep. even more than the visibility issue, i dont get consistent sink rate on my weightless plastics (braid sinks much slower than fluoro) with shorter leaders which is a problem when fishing 20-30 foot ranges.
    Any issues with the knot being on the spool?

14. Member
    Just be sure on the first few casts that there isn't any line trapped under the tag end of the knot. Seems to limber up after a few casts and no be an issue.

I fish both short and long fc leaders. A couple of my spinning rods have small stripper guides and if the fc is on the spool, it springs off and whips the braid braid around the stripper guide. IF that didn't happen, I would happily go long on all of my set ups.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Just be sure on the first few casts that there isn't any line trapped under the tag end of the knot. Seems to limber up after a few casts and no be an issue.

I fish both short and long fc leaders. A couple of my spinning rods have small stripper guides and if the fc is on the spool, it springs off and whips the braid braid around the stripper guide. IF that didn't happen, I would happily go long on all of my set ups.
    Will do, sounds like a very good system.

16. Member
    more often then not, my connection knot is well within the spool. I cant speak for spinning gear because I use casting gear for finesse applications- only time I had a problem was when I first tried a crazy Alberto knot which admittedly was pretty clumsy, and would catch on line during the cast. A well tied uni x2, Albright, or fg minding proper tag end clipping shouldn’t have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by goblue884 View Post
    more often then not, my connection knot is well within the spool. I cant speak for spinning gear because I use casting gear for finesse applications- only time I had a problem was when I first tried a crazy Alberto knot which admittedly was pretty clumsy, and would catch on line during the cast. A well tied uni x2, Albright, or fg minding proper tag end clipping shouldn’t have problems.
    I am going to try it next weekend.