Thread: Screw Holes

Screw Holes

Question guys, what is the best way you have found to seal up screw holes. Picking up a boat this weekend, has mounting holes from previous trolling motor and electronics. I can more than likely access holes from below if needed, I think. Would you use 3M 5200 or Marine Tex to seal the holes left. Also the gelcoat is red metalflake on the top. Any way to make the holes less noticeable after you seal them. I read some use nail polish to match the color and clear nail polish over this. I have used the latter on scratches.

2. Member
    I'd use Marine Tex over 5200 personally. Cover it up with some Gatorskinz and you're all set.

I use auto touch up paint for small scratches. I found some that is real close and looks good.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

4. Member
    Marine tex or thickened resin. Fingernail Polish on top
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

Marine Tex is great, but not available at 8pm when you get off work and are wanting to get a hole filled before you go out the next morning. In a pinch, I use JB weld. It's a good two-part epoxy that's easy to work with, sets up over night, and you can put a little touch up paint over it when you are done. I use it just like the marine tex, and use saran wrap or something else smooth over the top to get a nice slick finish. I also use nail polish for little nicks and such. Not perfect, but you can't tell from 6 foot away.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

6. Member
    jb weld works great