Any New Hazards?

Guys, its been a few years since I last fished the flats and Northeast area extensively. 10 years ago I went out with a guide a few times and learned all of the safe navigation trails in and around the flats. The guide allowed me to carry a GPS each time we went out and I captured the trails and use to offer them to new boaters on this forum. I know the area changes with time especially after the 2018 storms that brought in a mess of junk. When I was younger and fished alone I was more daring - now fishing with my kids I’m super cautious.

Are there any new hazards in the area?

- Upper flats channel around the hospital past Furnace Bay and into the Northeast?
    - North of Tydings around the condos and the marina?
    - Back channel near Tydings down to Swan Creek?
    - Main Channel out from Tydings down across the lower flats to Swan Creek and up the back channel?

Greatly appreciate the updates.
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland
    Champion 198 Elite DC / Yamaha VMax

2. Member
    I've been out at least a dozen times this year. There are no new hazards that I know of.

Hi Rich, I fished out of Tydings last Saturday. No hazards around the condos, marinas or Garrett Island and the back channel is good also.

Tom

4. Member
    I can tell you where not to go. Went to flats yeasterday for the first time at 6:00am. My son didn't enjoy it but it wasn't to bad being stuck for an hour waiting on tide to come back in.

5. Member
    I come to visit my in-laws often. I like the Northeast River... but am scared to death to navigate too far past Anchor Marina. I've always heard great things about the flats... I would interested in the navigation portion. If you wouldn't mind.
    -Ron

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R1Peacock View Post
    Guys, its been a few years since I last fished the flats and Northeast area extensively. 10 years ago I went out with a guide a few times and learned all of the safe navigation trails in and around the flats. The guide allowed me to carry a GPS each time we went out and I captured the trails and use to offer them to new boaters on this forum. I know the area changes with time especially after the 2018 storms that brought in a mess of junk. When I was younger and fished alone I was more daring - now fishing with my kids I’m super cautious.

Are there any new hazards in the area?

- Upper flats channel around the hospital past Furnace Bay and into the Northeast?
    - North of Tydings around the condos and the marina?
    - Back channel near Tydings down to Swan Creek?
    - Main Channel out from Tydings down across the lower flats to Swan Creek and up the back channel?

Greatly appreciate the updates.
    Pm sent on navigation help.
    -Ron

7. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    Hi Rich, I fished out of Tydings last Saturday. No hazards around the condos, marinas or Garrett Island and the back channel is good also.

Tom
    I enjoy the "pendulus" part of your avatar.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    OMG, the flats translates to HAZARDS. Plenty of places will get you in trouble on the wrong tide. Wood pops up out of no where or sometimes just below the surface that will really mess you up. Sometimes you have to pay the price to search for the Upper Bay treasures.

I was out there last Saturday as well and found a log with my lower unit. Fortunately I was just putting at the time.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I enjoy the "pendulus" part of your avatar.
    You're welcome. LOL

How are things down that way? I grew up in Drexel Hill.

Tom

11. Scraps
    You're welcome. LOL

How are things down that way? I grew up in Drexel Hill.

Tom
    Sheeeyit, my gal grew up as the youngest of 8 on Child's Ave in Drexel Hill. As of last weekend, protesting has become an activity here in Htown. Weird. But things are opening up. Most eateries and bars with outdoor facilities have been packed for the last week.
    2017 Phoenix 819

Sheeeyit, my gal grew up as the youngest of 8 on Child's Ave in Drexel Hill. As of last weekend, protesting has become an activity here in Htown. Weird. But things are opening up. Most eateries and bars with outdoor facilities have been packed for the last week.
    Wow, Childs Ave ends at Evans Lane where I grew up. LOL

Tom

13. Scraps
    Wow, Childs Ave ends at Evans Lane where I grew up. LOL

Tom
    McCafferty family.
    2017 Phoenix 819

McCafferty family.
    The name is not familiar but we moved from Evans Lane to Lombardy Road in 1970.

15. Scraps
    The name is not familiar but we moved from Evans Lane to Lombardy Road in 1970.
    In a weird......but enjoyable......bit of irony, my gal is also pendulus.
    2017 Phoenix 819