Thread: Flukes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flukes

Who fishes flukes a lot?

Weighted hook or not?

How deep is considered deep fishing them?

Need to get more prolific with them.

2. Member
    I fish them all the time. There several ways to fish them. They can be very effective fished weightless in shallow areas or over the tops and thru weeds. You can use a weighted hook to get them deeper or on a ball jig. I fish them weightless on a double rig where I add a swivel to the main line above the fluke with a 12 to 18 inch leader and a second fluke. Have caught two at a time many times doing this.

3. Member
    I fish them a lot, including the donkey rig (dual flukes).
    Also, use the hook below, and when you stop the fluke, it remains horizontal and sinks with a wiggle like a senko does.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owne...page-OWTL.html

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/VMC_...age-VDDWH.html
    Last edited by John Jackson; 07-09-2020 at 10:23 AM.

4. Member
    Very versatile bait, I fished them deep on a Carolina Rig last weekend with great success.
    2023 Lund 2075 Pro V Bass XS
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 250 4S

I tried a Donkey Rig last summer and got a good snarl with it! I also tried a double hook DS rig and it also turned out to be a PITA. I was using two different baits on both rigs and was interested in finding out if the fish had a color and/or depth preference. Didn't learn chit!
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Quote Originally Posted by GMT View Post
    Very versatile bait, I fished them deep on a Carolina Rig last weekend with great success.

that is a way I never thought of, thanks.

7. Member
    I fish them weightless during the spawn with a 4/0 EWG or on a carolina rig during summer.

Tactical Bassin' showed a method using a centering pin style screw lock screwed into the nose of the bait until it basically disappears. From there you can nose hook it with a drop shot or Neko style hook. Very high rate of hookups that way, and though not as weedless as rigging with an EWG, more weedless than you think as long as you make sure to rig it with the hook point facing up. I've plain ol' Texas rigged them at times with some luck, as well as Carolina rigging them as others mentioned. They also make good chatterbait trailers.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

9. Member
    A fluke is the only bait I use on a C-Rig. I don't use them any other way.

10. Member
    Fish it 6 months out of the year in our weedy lakes. On deeper stuff, I throw it on a weighted Owner Beast hook. Unweighted, the Owner cps hook is the way to go. For the fluke, I swear by KVD Caffeine shad.

11. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Tactical Bassin' showed a method using a centering pin style screw lock screwed into the nose of the bait until it basically disappears. From there you can nose hook it with a drop shot or Neko style hook. Very high rate of hookups that way, and though not as weedless as rigging with an EWG, more weedless than you think as long as you make sure to rig it with the hook point facing up. I've plain ol' Texas rigged them at times with some luck, as well as Carolina rigging them as others mentioned. They also make good chatterbait trailers.
    I took my gal out a few weekends ago and didn't know what to tie one for her. The nose hooked fluke and a senko with the blade screwed in the butt worked well.

For my flukes, not fished a lot, but I like just using a big hook for the weight instead of a weighted hook.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Member
    I keep a Fluke handy once the spawn's over, and the grass starts showing up. I use a light wire offset hook and push a nail weight through laterally and nip it off (1/4" section basically, I carry two diameters of weights), mostly for when the wind is bagging my line or the fish want it down and fast. I got a few on it after work today

13. Member
    I always fish them weightless. Use a 4/0 owner cutting point ewg. In super clear water, ill fish it over 10 to 20ft.

14. GTB
    Always with a worm rattle (3mm)

15. Member
    fish them from tiny all the way up to the standard super flukes- depending on time of the year and forage. Always weightless, and always a first choice on deck in late summer early fall. tiny flukes- nose hooked with size 4-2 gamakatsu finesse hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I took my gal out a few weekends ago and didn't know what to tie one for her. The nose hooked fluke and a senko with the blade screwed in the butt worked well.

For my flukes, not fished a lot, but I like just using a big hook for the weight instead of a weighted hook.
    A heavy hook is definitely helpful for getting them down...the Superline varieties work great for that. I'm also right there with you with not wanting to use a weighted hook. It seems it really changes (deadens) their action.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

17. Member
    I also rig it with a nail weight perpendicular not to far forward or back....just trying to keep the natural fall action correct. This helps with getting it down deeper without losing the action of the bait. I do not fish the C-rig often but when I do I am going to try the fluke. great tip.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

18. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    This has been on my mind a lot since my next tourney is in a lake way too small to hold any tournament! It’s also clear with no real shoreline....and Florida lakes just aren’t like this! I’ve been practicing with a weightless fluke with a Gammy SL 4/0 hook, t-rigged.

If theres no wind I think this works almost as good as a topwater, but unless I’m fishing 100% straight downwind I cannot control the fluke. I hate how they rip with every fish, but I’m going to try the screw lock hooks and see if it makes them last longer.

The real ear problem is adding any weight. If it’s added to the front the fluke doesn’t fall correctly. Not sure how to get a little weight on the rig and not ruin the fall?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

19. Member
    I fish them a bit different, I use a round bend work hook. 1/0 or 2/0. This stays snug enough on the bait and I don't have to adjust it all the time. saved a lot of time with this hook!! Great hook up percentage!! If I need weight i add a swivel up the line.
    I still prefer the original sluggo though. seems to be a forgotten lure. More bites on the fluke but they seem to be more aggressive strikes on the sluggo. I just found 40 bags in the basement from the early 90s opened them all and in perfect shape.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    This has been on my mind a lot since my next tourney is in a lake way too small to hold any tournament! It’s also clear with no real shoreline....and Florida lakes just aren’t like this! I’ve been practicing with a weightless fluke with a Gammy SL 4/0 hook, t-rigged.

If theres no wind I think this works almost as good as a topwater, but unless I’m fishing 100% straight downwind I cannot control the fluke. I hate how they rip with every fish, but I’m going to try the screw lock hooks and see if it makes them last longer.

The real ear problem is adding any weight. If it’s added to the front the fluke doesn’t fall correctly. Not sure how to get a little weight on the rig and not ruin the fall?
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/VMC_...age-VDDWH.html This is how. They fall horizontally, and shimmy like a Senko while sinking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast