Best approach to a long distance boat purchase?

Almost all the boats I like that are in my budget are 3-5 hours away. Has anyone purchased a boat in that situation? How did you approach it and anything I absolutely should do before buying? Given my time limitations (demanding job), my preference would to be able to buy on first visit.

2. Member
    I have purchased (3) boats that I would consider not local. One was 13 hours away, one was 6 1/2 hours away, and one was only 3 hours away. All three were good experiences but all three were from dealers and were used boats. I almost had a very bad experience with a dealer on boat # 2 that was 9 hours away. I had a deposit put down and was about to make the long drive when something didn't feel right. First rule is make sure you get plenty of pictures of the boat from ALL angles and perspectives. On the almost bad experience that is what saved me from making the long trip and probably being put in jail after I got there. I was reviewing the pictures of this "mint", "perfect" used bass boat the dealer had, we made a deal, I put a deposit down and was looking at the pictures when I noticed that I had a lot of pictures but curiously there were no pictures of the port rear side / end of the boat. Pictures of everything else in detail and the boat looked great. A couple of days before the trip to pick the boat up I called the sales guy and asked why no pictures of that end / side of the boat. He got quiet and acted funny. I told him to send me pictures or I wasn't making the trip. He said OK he would send them. A hour later i get pictures that show the boat and trailer had road accident rash bad in that area. I called the guy up and asked him if he was serious, that this was a "mint" condition boat and he said that it was considering the age. I let him know what I thought about him and his dealership and that if my deposit wasn't credited to my CC quickly I would post the story and pictures on BBC warning everyone about them and call his local BBB. I got the refund. Moral of the story, be sure to get lots of pictures, ask lots of questions, and get answers in writing via email or text messages. Understand clearly about any warranties or lack of along with engine hours, conditions / age of things like batteries and electronics. You don't want to make the drive only to learn that the mega fish finder looks great but only half the functions work for example. Do your homework and search for everything you can find about the dealership so you know their reputation. If you're thinking of driving that distance to buy from an individual then everything I said applies only more so. Insist on a lake test, bring a compression gage, better yet bring a trusted boat mechanic with you to check it out. Last thing and this is hard to accept cause we all think we will stumble on the deal of deals but if the deal seems too good to be true ---- there is a reason and you won't like it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mheichelbech View Post
    Almost all the boats I like that are in my budget are 3-5 hours away. Has anyone purchased a boat in that situation? How did you approach it and anything I absolutely should do before buying? Given my time limitations (demanding job), my preference would to be able to buy on first visit.
    I just saw your reply and thanks for the info! Currently looking at a 99 Ranger 519 DVS for $7500. Guy did disclose the need for a wiring harness. It also has Ficht injection which is scary but I’ve heard once you get past certain hours your safe with those. I’m thinking at $7,500 I could easily resell it need be.

4. Member
    Having just driven across 2 states to get my new boat, I would say this...as ready as you are to tow a boat home, be just as ready not to.

5. Member
    I did it for my last boat and it went well. All are good points mentioned. What I would add is make sure you know any additional fees you might have to pay, take into account time (becuase time is money) gas, mileage, food, accommodations if it's really far, AND bring some tools and a jack just in case. If there's a spare tire on it you'll be super happy and it will be a minor setback if your prepared. I had a trailer tire go on me once and I was half prepared. I had to walk a long way to get help. Add all the additional fees and see if it's still worth it, then make sure everything checks out when you get there. The last thing you want is someone else's problem, and until you sign and give them all your money, you can always walk away. It's a fun experience becuase your excited both ways if it all works out. Good luck on your purchase.
    Wishin I Was Fishin...

6. Member
    Don't answer any ads that have a G-mail address and are priced too low.

7. Member
    Also, make sure you understand how rigs are titled state to state. For example, Texas titles boat, motor and trailer separately. Tennessee does not. They just title trailer, if I remember correctly.

8. Member
    I just bought a boat that was 6 hrs away and 25k cash, and I took a day off to do it. Getting that boat you've been wanting is exciting, but you have to seriously be ready to drive back home with your money in your pocket if it isn't as perfect for you as the add/pictures made you believe. The drive there can be a mix of excitement and stress, trust me....
    Be sure to check vin numbers on the registration, title, actual boat, trailer and motor. Also, just check with you state to see what you need the seller to sign/fill out to make sure to title transfer (or in some cases new title) process goes as smoothly as possible.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beast200xp View Post
    I just bought a boat that was 6 hrs away and 25k cash, and I took a day off to do it. Getting that boat you've been wanting is exciting, but you have to seriously be ready to drive back home with your money in your pocket if it isn't as perfect for you as the add/pictures made you believe. The drive there can be a mix of excitement and stress, trust me....
    Be sure to check vin numbers on the registration, title, actual boat, trailer and motor. Also, just check with you state to see what you need the seller to sign/fill out to make sure to title transfer (or in some cases new title) process goes as smoothly as possible.
    Did you find any common issues that came up on boats that you passed on?