Best approach to a long distance boat purchase?

Almost all the boats I like that are in my budget are 3-5 hours away. Has anyone purchased a boat in that situation? How did you approach it and anything I absolutely should do before buying? Given my time limitations (demanding job), my preference would to be able to buy on first visit.

New or used? Dealer or private sellers?

3. Member
    I just purchased a Nitro 901 CDX from Portland, Oregon 18 months ago, first seen on the internet. I live in Duluth, MN. The seller took the boat to a dealer of my choice for a full inspection. Inspection was fairly rigorous, and included not only the motor, but hull, trailer, etc. Boat checked out clean. I put a bid out on UShip.com, and had folks bid on delivering it from Portland to Duluth. Amazingly, someone was willing to pick up the boat in Portland and deliver it cross country for only $1000.

Boat was owned by an individual who listed it with a boat broker. It was my first experience with a broker, and felt that they did a very good job making sure all of the legalities were taken care of.

I guess I would ask the seller for a print out of the most recent boat inspection. I had to pay for this. You may have to as well, but at least you have the peace of mind knowing the condition of the boat before you go to pick it up.

Good luck!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borkman View Post
    I just purchased a Nitro 901 CDX from Portland, Oregon 18 months ago, first seen on the internet. I live in Duluth, MN. The seller took the boat to a dealer of my choice for a full inspection. Inspection was fairly rigorous, and included not only the motor, but hull, trailer, etc. Boat checked out clean. I put a bid out on UShip.com, and had folks bid on delivering it from Portland to Duluth. Amazingly, someone was willing to pick up the boat in Portland and deliver it cross country for only $1000.

Boat was owned by an individual who listed it with a boat broker. It was my first experience with a broker, and felt that they did a very good job making sure all of the legalities were taken care of.

I guess I would ask the seller for a print out of the most recent boat inspection. I had to pay for this. You may have to as well, but at least you have the peace of mind knowing the condition of the boat before you go to pick it up.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the I input!

I have purchased a boat south of Atlanta Ga (8 hour drive 1 way) and the current one from A dealer on Table rock(4 hours 1 way)
    you can have a dealer/ seller send you detailed photos. Both times I had test drive on a local lake with a compression test after run in the shop.
    if it’s what you really want that drive is an investment into a happy purchase.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borkman View Post

Good luck!
    +