Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member

Unhappy

Having owned a couple of Lowe 18HP, the difference in construction/quality/features was a step below my RT188. Storage and fishing space two steps below. I had to install gaskets on all the compartments, except for the livewell on the Lowe's. Biggest difference, for me, was the cheap Karavan trailer on the Lowes. Ranger trailer is outstanding. As far as fishing, the 300# difference in the hulls, combined with the hull width, the RT is as stable as my old Ranger 340V. I agree that the ModVee hull design is ancient, but Pad not available in 2016. I've owned a bunch of boats, glass, PVC, and tin, over the past 40 odd years, and I've been more satisfied with the RT than any other. If a hybrid rig is in the offing from BPS, I'd jump at an RT with the Revolution hull.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

2. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    If a hybrid rig is in the offing from BPS, I'd jump at an RT with the Revolution hull.
    I'd be a buyer for one of those. The Revolution hull is a home run when it comes to ride and handling in the non-pad hull market. Surely they could put a more beam forward top on that hull. My only gripe about my Tracker is how narrow it gets up front but it's just something you get used to like with glass rigs that get narrow like that.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

The school of hard knocks is a rough way to be educated!

3. Member
    This is what Rangers website says about it. https://www.rangerboats.com/next-generation.html

Quote Originally Posted by jimg67 View Post
    This is what Rangers website says about it. https://www.rangerboats.com/next-generation.html
    I picked up a new piece of information in this link, relating to the trailer manufacturing for the aluminum boats. It states they will be manufactured in Ozark MO, (which I assume is the Tracker plant ) as opposed to the EZ-Loader plant in Midway AR as they are today. They do not address whether the trailers will continue to be manufactured from C-Channel or be changed to rectangular beam.
    By contrast, they state that the Ranger glass boat trailers will be moved to EZ-Loader in Midway AR and specifically mention the C-Channel frame.
    At this point, I give it a 50/50 chance that the aluminum Boat trailer frame Will change to rectangular beam.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    Yes sir, a month ago I took delivery of a 2020 Ranger VX1788WT that was built in Lebanon and it arrived on a Ranger Trail badged tracker beam trailer that was built in Ozark. I wasn't pleased. The dealer found out that they decided to not wait for the 2021 models before making the switch, so I was going to be paying for a Ranger c channel trailer with all of the upgrades and getting a tracker trailer. I ended up getting money off the purchase because of this. The load guides didn't fit the wider beam of my boat, so they were pushing against the paint and wore through in a few spots, and they weren't adjustable, so I removed them. That along with my other list of issues has been sitting in rangers hands for weeks now with no response from them. My dealer is trying all they can, but apparently communication with WRMG is a real issue right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I picked up a new piece of information in this link, relating to the trailer manufacturing for the aluminum boats. It states they will be manufactured in Ozark MO, (which I assume is the Tracker plant ) as opposed to the EZ-Loader plant in Midway AR as they are today. They do not address whether the trailers will continue to be manufactured from C-Channel or be changed to rectangular beam.
    By contrast, they state that the Ranger glass boat trailers will be moved to EZ-Loader in Midway AR and specifically mention the C-Channel frame.
    At this point, I give it a 50/50 chance that the aluminum Boat trailer frame Will change to rectangular beam.

6. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimg67 View Post
    it appears the have removed their "Heritage" section when you click on the link it goes to a dead page

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    I'd be a buyer for one of those. The Revolution hull is a home run when it comes to ride and handling in the non-pad hull market. Surely they could put a more beam forward top on that hull. My only gripe about my Tracker is how narrow it gets up front but it's just something you get used to like with glass rigs that get narrow like that.
    The Ranger RT188 mod-V hull may be ancient but I like it and it works for where and how I fish. The hull sits low on the water, doesn't catch the wind and goes into skinny water. It also handles well at low speed around ramps. Every design has pluses and minuses depending upon where and how you fish so choice is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    After reading the link I think its at least a 75% chance the C-Channel trailer is toast for the Ranger aluminum boat line.

9. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    The Ranger RT188 mod-V hull may be ancient but I like it and it works for where and how I fish. The hull sits low on the water, doesn't catch the wind and goes into skinny water. It also handles well at low speed around ramps. Every design has pluses and minuses depending upon where and how you fish so choice is good.
    How well does it resist taking water over the bow when fishing big rollers? I tend to prefer something that sits a little higher up front because I don't like to worry about taking one over the bow while fishing in rough water.
    Last edited by Highcentered; 06-20-2020 at 10:03 AM.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

10. Member
    I haven’t taken water over the bow like I did with my 18’ glass ranger. You could count on getting your feet wet in that one. On the flip side the Rt188 has a wet ride in rough water.

11. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Revolution hull is an extremely dry ride. I for one HATE a wet boat ride when the water is cold.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

12. Banned
    The revolution hull rides good but problem is the are very unstable fishing platform. Fished out of buddy’s tracker several years the rt is a superior platform. I’ll take stability since I’m getting older the tracker rides better but that’s about it.
    J. D.

There are compromises in all designs and in this case it is the hull shape near the front. The revolution hull was designed for material and manufacturing efficiency by fitting the width into a single sheet of aluminum. The 175 and 190 series are all manufactured from a single sheet, the 195 is the first to use center keel and 2 piece hull. The single sheet design requires a greater dead rise and narrowing near the front. This is not bad, just a compromise and it provides a better rough water ride Than the mod-vee.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I agree with that. First, I want to say that I don't fish lakes like The Great Lakes. Second, I don't fish in real high winds, like over 20 MPH or so....not because of the boat but because I don't enjoy fishing in a high wind. I don't like casting in a high wind and don't like fishing with the waves up and down... I will fish in the rain but not in the wind. I hate it.

Those things considered, I have been caught in the wind and had to get home. I have never had a real wet ride in the RT. I have never had a wave come over the bow. I have NEVER had to wear a rain suit in the RT unless it was raining. I grew up driving these things and my first boat was a tri-hull. You can't plane it and drive wide open in big water waves.

I drive the boat maybe 5% of the time and fish from the front 95% of the time. I bought the boat to fish from. It is so superior to the other style hull when fishing from the front that there is no contest for me and the type of use it gets. The RT front is more stable, larger and not so tippy....If I fished bad winds and waves much, I would not consider buying an aluminum hull, no matter what hull design it had. My boat would be glass.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

15. Member
    Well said Panama.

Rt188 is said to have the best trolling motor down performance since the invention of the bassboat. Ask the experts.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

How well does it resist taking water over the bow when fishing big rollers? I tend to prefer something that sits a little higher up front because I don't like to worry about taking one over the bow while fishing in rough water.
    I fish Smith Mountain Lake and a group of lakes in eastern Ontario and in six years I've yet to get caught out on a day with big rollers and I don't see myself fishing that kind of water. SML gets very rough from boat traffic but seldom gets windy and the portion I live and typically fish on is in steep terrain and just doesn't get rough. The lower portion of the lake gets extremely busy but boat wakes are a whole different deal than wind. This past Sunday the wife and I got up early and went way down lake to the dam and then up one of the larger arms for something different. At 7 am it was a nice cruise down but the trip back, probably 30 miles in the middle of the afternoon was brutal rough but it was a dry ride and the few glass bass boats that I saw weren't going any faster than I was. All bass boats suck in a world of wake boats, off-shore racers and 28' tri-toons with 250 hp Yammies - I could have used a 20 Lund deep V walleye boat. I've always thought that the Revolution Hull reflects Bass Tracker's origin and customer base in the midwest with open terrain and a lot more wind. You need a V in those waters. I've owned a Lowe V hull, a tin pad hull and the present boat. All had their strengths and weakness, the pad hull was very fast, rode like crap in rough water, but it was only 17' 6", length also matters on these boats. The Lowe would handle stupid rough water but it was a tippy hull and I wouldn't want it at my present age, too much chance of taking an unexpected swim if your co-angler decides to make a sudden move. What I own now works well for the water I fish, is stable and easy to tow and handle. So six years later, if I were in the market for a new boat, would I buy the same boat again? Probably, but maybe not. I would certainly look at the Ranger 188P and 198P as well as the Vexus. The allure of more speed is always there.
    Last edited by tcesni; 06-23-2020 at 05:53 AM.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Rt188 is said to have the best trolling motor down performance since the invention of the bassboat. Ask the experts.
    Yes, we know. You said the same thing in a previous post (#23) in this thread: "BUT one thing is for certain there is no boat out there better with the trolling motor down than a pre Johnny Morris Ranger that is a fact and owning one makes you an expert on everything too."

And you should know about being an expert as you seem to be one on every topic on this board.
    Last edited by madmurph; 06-23-2020 at 09:39 AM.

19. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainslinger1959 View Post
    The revolution hull rides good but problem is the are very unstable fishing platform. Fished out of buddy’s tracker several years the rt is a superior platform. I’ll take stability since I’m getting older the tracker rides better but that’s about it.
    J. D.
    Yeah, my next/last boat I buy in my lifetime will be something more stable and wider up front than what I have now but for my budget at the time what I got checked all the important boxes. I wouldn't call it "unstable" even though it does give a little but I also normally use a butt seat as a third leg. My first boat was a big Charger that was like standing on a boat dock secured to the bottom and rarely even used a seat of any kind in it and the trolling motor pedal wasn't even recessed. Was also in my 20's back then too. Just turned 38 today and my stability isn't what it was 10 years ago and hope it doesn't get too much worse over the next 30-40 years. I'm thinking a wide tin like a Vexus for my next boat but would still want something that had a pronounced V in the front and sits a little high because of how I like to fish windy bank patterns in the Spring and Fall. I don't consider it too rough until my 80# trolling motor stops making headway even at 100%. Like has been mentioned many times we get the best we can with the money we have to spend at the time and every boat is a compromise. I could have made the payments on something bigger and nicer but at the same time I knew from past experience that a boat is just a tool to get me to the fish and as long as it's sufficient enough where it needs to be I'm happy. I'll probably run this one another 6-8 years then sell it and buy the "last" boat. A lot of people have a major hard-on for the Revolution hull around here so shouldn't be hard to get what I want for it with how nicely I'll keep it rigged.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

20. Member
    Budget was important more to my wife than me but we forked over two more grand and got the boat that fit our needs now RT178 with 75hp. And yes the boat does fish good with the Ultrex down and a good amount of deck space to fish on two of our needs. So 90 percent of the time just what we want but on Lake Erie not so much and we don’t go out everyday we’re there but we have been caught in 2-3 foot waves with luckily only some minor spray over the side. I would have rather had the Express X19 or Lund Pro V bass boat put don’t feel the need to slide over in there forum to point out what could be a shortfall of the boats but read the forum’s in maybe one day I’ll have one and enjoy there post.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast