2005 Mercury 115 EFI

115 EFI four stoke, Serial number OT983745, on a Triton 186 Magnum tin rig. Speedometer doesn't register. What could be amiss? The speedo did work sporadically when I bought the boat.
    Last edited by JimW62; 06-10-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Look for a small notch on the leading edge of the lower unit. It easily gets clogged with debris. Use a drill bit to open it up. TURN IT BY HAND!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving thread to the 4-stroke forum for you.

Did the speedo ever work?

Be sure to check out the Forum Announcements at the top of the 4-Stroke Forum, and provide the Required Info when posting (serial number). Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Moving thread to the 4-stroke forum for you.

Did the speedo ever work?

Be sure to check out the Forum Announcements at the top of the 4-Stroke Forum, and provide the Required Info when posting (serial number). Thanks!
    Thanks for the help EuropeanAM. I did not read the forum announcement before posting, in the wrong forum. I will edit my post.

5. Member
    Thanks for the info. I tried that, the hole is not clogged.

6. Member
    Ok, a couple more questions, Does the speedo work by water pressure? and if so could this cause water intrusion into the boat at the console?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Technically, the speedo works by AIR pressure (water pressure is compressing the AIR that is in the pitot tube, resulting in an air pressure reading).

If there is an air LEAK at the console, then water will be forced to the console and out of the leak point (while boat is underway).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Technically, the speedo works by AIR pressure (water pressure is compressing the AIR that is in the pitot tube, resulting in an air pressure reading).

If there is an air LEAK at the console, then water will be forced to the console and out of the leak point (while boat is underway).
    Thanks very much for the information. Now to figure out which one is the line to the speedo and see if it's split or broken.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If it's leaking under the dash- start at the speedometer end.

10. Member
    So, I think I have figured out where the water is comming from in the boat. The speedometer tube seems to be broken or split between the engine and the speedo, behind the drivers seat. In order for me to reach the tube I need to remove the rear storage/tackle organizer box. How is this done? There are no screws or any other visible means of securing the plastic "box" to the boat.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Why not just pull a new tube front to back and be done with it?

12. Member
    Why not just pull a new tube front to back and be done with it?
    Well, one reason is I'm worried the tube is broken in two and will not pull a new one through. Also, I'm not sure which one it is at the motor.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pitot (speedometer) tubing is BLACK, and comes up from the gearcase.

14. Member
    Pitot (speedometer) tubing is BLACK, and comes up from the gearcase.
    Thanks Don, I'll check that. Actually all three are tubes are black, but I think I saw one coming from the gearcase.