Houseboat on St Johns River

Anyone done this? Thinking of late February or early March. How’s the fishing and is there other things to do on the River?
    Thanks

2. Member
    Yes I would definitely recommend it for a great vacation and made me want to buy a houseboat. Holly bluff marina rents them. Then go north to Lake George and anchor a Silver Glen Spring. Albeit fishing is not as good as it used to be, Feb/Mar is still the best time to fish the river. If you bring your boat, you can tow it behind the houseboat.

3. Member
    Did it once. I enjoy staying at South Moon much better cant take house boat past Silver Glen. South Moon close to it I used the gas to run the house boat in my boat to get into Rodman. the House boat drank the crap out of gas

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida
    2016 21 TRX
    250 Pro XS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PASCOFISHBOY View Post
    Did it once. I enjoy staying at South Moon much better cant take house boat past Silver Glen. South Moon close to it I used the gas to run the house boat in my boat to get into Rodman. the House boat drank the crap out of gas
    I agree with this dude 100% in terms of pure fishing and I stay at all the Astor hotels since the early 90's at Hall's and still up to this day in the others, but if you have kids and your wife shaves her armpits, South MOON will seem like the dark side of the MOON to them and you might get divorced and pay child support after your stay. A houseboat on the St. Johns is an incredible experience and can entertain both self and family. Slow cruising its length in a houseboat cannot be compared with the hammer down position in a bass boat. The river is a beauty and a houseboat exposes it all. It aint cheap, but I still remember the trip like yesterday.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfisher View Post
    I agree with this dude 100% in terms of pure fishing and I stay at all the Astor hotels since the early 90's at Hall's and still up to this day in the others, but if you have kids and your wife shaves her armpits, South MOON will seem like the dark side of the MOON to them and you might get divorced and pay child support after your stay. A houseboat on the St. Johns is an incredible experience and can entertain both self and family. Slow cruising its length in a houseboat cannot be compared with the hammer down position in a bass boat. The river is a beauty and a houseboat exposes it all. It aint cheap, but I still remember the trip like yesterday.
    Hey soulfisher when you coming back to the US and fish??? I am still having trouble with my setup after the power head rebuild. Safe safe brother!
    Johnnyboydan
    Triton 185 Merc 150

6. Member
    Hey Brother, stuck here until Sept with the covid restrictions. Fishing Peacocks in Norcasia until then. We had to cancel the Saint Clair trip this year as well - hated it. Sorry to hear about the motor issues. I’ll get in touch with ya.