Is it just me or did it seem like the spawn lasted forever?

With the drawn out cold fronts we had this spring, it seemed like the spawn lasted way longer than normal yet never was all that hot and heavy.

I fished a lake last weekend where it was my first trip that I felt confident that I wasn’t catching spawning bass.

2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

2. Member
    I always enjoy your videos, Steve. You give great detail about what you are using and you don't make me mute out awful music. I agree with you, the spawn has been going on forever. My lakes here in central Iowa are just heating up, and the males have recently moved shallow. I caught a few 3-4 lb females yesterday that were full of eggs and had minimal wear on their tails. They wouldn't hit anything moving but would absolutely destroy soft plastics. This stormy weather we are supposed to get the next couple of days may make for some good times.

3. Member
    So I fish sw Iowa last weekend the water temp was 79-81. The female bass I caught were spawned out and just starting to put weight back on. We caught lots of nice smaller males as well close to the shoreline. How do I post a picture on here??

4. Member
    See if this picture works. Hmm pictures look sideways lol. I’m still learning how to operate in this forum.
    E3AC59E4-B53D-4B4A-A9F6-0319546D97A2.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    See if this picture works. Hmm pictures look sideways lol. I’m still learning how to operate in this forum.
    That’s a tank!

Quote Originally Posted by remaly181 View Post
    I always enjoy your videos, Steve. You give great detail about what you are using and you don't make me mute out awful music. I agree with you, the spawn has been going on forever. My lakes here in central Iowa are just heating up, and the males have recently moved shallow. I caught a few 3-4 lb females yesterday that were full of eggs and had minimal wear on their tails. They wouldn't hit anything moving but would absolutely destroy soft plastics. This stormy weather we are supposed to get the next couple of days may make for some good times.
    I appreciate the kind words! I rarely put any music in my videos but if I do, it’s for two reasons.

1) If the wind was so bad that the audio is total crap.

Or...

2) If so many F bombs and other cuss words were dropped that it would just take me hours to edit them all out. When I’m fishing by myself, that’s easy enough. But when someone is in the boat with me (and god forbid they are also military like myself) then there’s probably going to have to be some music in the video.

7. Member
    I hope the bass start to school up out a little deeper and I can try to catch them on crank baits (5xd/6xd) For some reason I always try and very rarely stick anything bigger then 3lb. Mosty moss and slime is all :-) I see so many videos of guy down on the Ozark lakes fishing the main lake points sticking 4-5lbs fish. Lol, of course there usually pulling current like crazy and that helps. These little Iowa/ Nebraska 70 to 600 acres lakes Don’t fish like the big stuff down south... so I just need to fish the lake I’m on and go with my gut. It is very nice to see Steve81 makeimg videos on the lake around hear and telling how he is catching his fish. I hope you can make it up to Okoboji soon for a video. Some day I would like to make it up north to try for smallmouth. I wonder what that lake is called that there’s a old barn flooded in?? That other Omaha guy has made a lot of videos up there and stuck some nice fish.

I hope the bass start to school up out a little deeper and I can try to catch them on crank baits (5xd/6xd) For some reason I always try and very rarely stick anything bigger then 3lb. Mosty moss and slime is all :-) I see so many videos of guy down on the Ozark lakes fishing the main lake points sticking 4-5lbs fish. Lol, of course there usually pulling current like crazy and that helps. These little Iowa/ Nebraska 70 to 600 acres lakes Don’t fish like the big stuff down south... so I just need to fish the lake I’m on and go with my gut. It is very nice to see Steve81 makeimg videos on the lake around hear and telling how he is catching his fish. I hope you can make it up to Okoboji soon for a video. Some day I would like to make it up north to try for smallmouth. I wonder what that lake is called that there’s a old barn flooded in?? That other Omaha guy has made a lot of videos up there and stuck some nice fish.
    I don’t know what lake that is but I could definitely find out. I have friends that live in that area.

I’m hoping to get up to Boji in the not too distant future. I’m still limited to sticking close to home at the moment but I think I see that changing soon.

My personal opinion on our small lakes around here versus those big lakes like LOZ is 100% all about the current. That current positions the shad in predictable spots and the bass follow suit. Since we don’t really have anything other than wind-generated current, I think it makes the baitfish (basically just crappie and bluegills) more like homebodies that always relate to areas like brush piles or weed lines. Like on Green Valley, you can catch the same bass out of the same brush piles week after week in the summer. I also think that lack of current is the biggest reason why moss grows on the bottom out in deep water.

Those are all just theories though.

9. Member
    Nicely said and I agree.

10. Member
    Oh crap. I was just talking about Wanting to crank on them and I just watch that Omaha guy (don’t know if I should say his name you all probably know) just hammer on them!!! I’ve never met him but he can really get on them sometimes. I think that was green valley too. If that was me I would have probably just caught moss and slim. Lol.

Oh crap. I was just talking about Wanting to crank on them and I just watch that Omaha guy (don’t know if I should say his name you all probably know) just hammer on them!!! I’ve never met him but he can really get on them sometimes. I think that was green valley too. If that was me I would have probably just caught moss and slim. Lol.
    I’m assuming you’re talking about Milliken but between him, Flair, and PigPatrol there are 3 big YouTube channels in Omaha.

Green Valley is always good. I’m convinced DNR stocked that lake with a strain of largemouth that lack the ability to remember anything other than eating and spawning.

12. Member
    Yes it is the Miliken he has made a lot videos around here. Seems to be a good fisherman. I’ve never met him just watched his videos. I got a laugh at his online measurement tournaments he had during COVID-19 crap. He must’ve got ripped pretty hard on the kayak angler forms for some stuff. I don’t fish tournaments maybe sometime and if I do it will be at a lake we’re we all start with empty live wells and at the end of the day see who has the best 5 fish.

13. Member
    GIANT! You musta stuck her before that Lily pads popped

14. Member
    Lol she came out of a tree in about 9/10ft water. I’ve got some nice fish out of that same tree over the years. I just fished there last night after work. I had a nice time fishing the grass lines with a chatter bait. Nothing over 3lb but some nice heathy bass. I counted 9 boats at Anita on the water and a FULL campground!! I wish I had a John boat with a push pole I’m thinking there has to be good bass living underneath all those pads.

15. Member
    Fished it today....jack worked great!