Bass Boat Sun Shade Thoughts/Discussion While on the Water

As I have gotten older in age can’t stand the sun as well as I use to. Usually like to spend the whole day out fish in the mornings/evenings and then do lunch and scan with the graphs in middle of day but last couple of years that middle day sun gets to me. Have seen different posts with homemade umbrellas to actual Bimini tops being installed for sun shade on a bass boat. Was wanting to solicit thoughts/ideas on if this is a good or bad idea and any other ideas that someone has seen or used that worked.

2. Member
    We just use the "7 foot Patio Umbrella in the Seat Tube" approach for our down time. Works great. Umbrella stores easy in the rod locker. No holes drilled.
    Just don't exceed 5 mph!!

3. Member
    You can go the expensive and nice route with the Bimini.

I went the cheap route and bought a beach 8' umbrella and a spare seat post for the rear deck.

It's a Tommy Bahama umbrella that cost me $15 from Costco around fall. I think it's at $20 now. Works very well and keeps my partner happy to get away from the sun. Very inexpensive. Lightweight. Tilt fiction. I went under it when it was sunny and definitely feel a heat difference.

Down side, it's all contained in a nice bag but won't fit into my compartments as is. Too long. I could separate the 2 umbrella parts and probably jam then into 2 rod holes but I'll rather not. So I just lay it across the front of my seat/bench floor if I bring it.

I don't know why it's so expensive online but in store it's under $20.
    https://www.costco.com/tommy-bahama-...100524744.html
    Last edited by BoatNoobie; 06-13-2020 at 03:55 AM.

4. Member
    I just had this conversation yesterday. I've done the umbrella thing, it blew out of my boat several times but when it turned inside/out I was done. Made a Bimini that I use now. Thoughts on this; 7/8in aluminum handrail tubing, top frames are made of the same thing. Swedging nylon eyelets into the end for the Umbrella "Rods". What I have in mind making is a 4 panel Umbrella using 1in aluminum handrail tubing for the center section, pop riveting 4 of the nylon top mounting rounded bases around the top of the 1in tubing. Just capping of the hole in the top of the center section and outer frame tube ends. Sewing the fabric, 4 panel top out of Stamoid Lite, it's fully waterproof, flexible to like minus 10 degrees. In-between the joining of each panel, the outer 12-18 inches sew a pocket for the top frame tubes to go through, the pocket would need to be doubled up on the outer hem and sewn shut to keep the fabric in place. Where I'm hung up is on the deployment supports, I could also make out of tubing, same nylon hardware to form "hinge" point but I would need to have a collar that travels up to a stop with the other ends of the support tubing attached. It can't fold up nice and tight like an umbrella does. If I used 1in anodized pipe, the stuff I make T-Tops out of you could run with it up. Would want to spin, something would have to be done about that. I crappie fish, this thing could be made and would not weigh much. Ideas?

5. Member
    I went with a Bimini on my RT178. Wasn’t too expensive, easy to install and good quality. It lays on my back deck with the cover on until the wife or kid come out with me or I need a shade break. Two bolts and it comes right off.

Ordered mine from https://www.websweeper.com/biminitops/id-28678 for around $350 on a big sale.