Abu Garcia no customer service?

So I broke an Abu Garcia rod boating a 3 pounder a couple of months ago. It was within a year of purchase, but I wasn't sure if it would be covered under warranty cause I don't know if they'd consider that a "manufacturer defect." I've emailed them 3 times on their customer service link with zero response. I've called their number and sat on hold for 15 mins each on their 3 available extensions. At this point the 1 year period has passed and I have absolutely no indication that there's even a warm body at their business.
    Now I am fully willing to accept that it broke in my hands, its my problem. But I can guarantee I won't buy their brand again with my limited experience with their durability and absolute lack of communication.
    Am I alone in this experience with them?

2. Member
    They furloughed a large portion of the customer service staff at the start of this "pandemic" but have since hired back their full team of customer service reps. They have a large backlog of cases but are working to get caught up. So between the furlough and then the big boom in tackle sales, they're busy getting caught up.

3. Member
    Agree with the above. They have a backlog and will take some time to get caught up.

4. Member
    Still nothing. So that's that.

This is a problem with many companies at this time. My wife has tried to get a hold of a few places over the month with the issues you are having, so she finally mailed something to them and got accomplished what she needed.

6. Member
    Give this a try:

RODS
    If your rod is within the original warranty period (3 years from the date of purchase for manufacturer defects), we will need to inspect your rod to determine the nature of the break.

In order to file a warranty claim and/or replacement claim, we ask that you provide the following and email it to us at abugarcia@purefishing.com:

Photograph of the actual break
    Photograph of the model number (located above the handle/opposite side rod)
    Photograph of the brand and model (located above the handle)
    Photograph of the rod as a whole
    A copy of your receipt (if within warranty period)
    Your contact information (daytime phone number along with your full name and physical address for UPS return delivery - we cannot return to a Post Office Box).
    There is a $9.95 shipping and processing fee per rod when replacing rods older than 30 days; however, this is determined on a case to case basis.

Please contact our customer service dept. at (800) 228-4272 Monday-Friday 8:00am-6:00pm EST with your credit card information to finalize your warranty/replacement order and/or should you have any further questions.

7. Member
    I'm not a fan of Abu Garcia rods but I jumped on the Veritas band wagon when they came out.
    I've broken alot of rods and one thing Abu had going for them was the $9.99 no questions replacement policy on those rods.
    They've since done away with it and probably adopted the $40-60 replacement policy like most other companies for rods in that price point.
    Cheese County Bass Club

8. Member
    I just had a rod replaced under warranty late last year and as in my earlier post, it was $9.95.

All I had to do was take several pics of the rod and send them an email with a picture of my receipt and the pics of the broken rod. Shortly thereafter I received an email from them letting me know where to call to pay the $9.95.

9. Member
    I've always had good experiences with them, I usually praise their CS staff. I have not had or needed any pandemic customer service help, so I assume things may be a bit different stated by others.