So what do fish look like....

Question seems to pop up from time to time.... This images are showing mostly drum. But there are some crappie, catfish, and bream mixed in. 'least that's the species I caught while working a spoon in the schools I was marking....

The 2D image is from and Airmar TM185HW set to 150Hz. The downscan is coming from a 3D transducer/HDS Carbon.

Screenshot_2020-06-07_10.17.08 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

On the downscan that is what bass can look like when they're feeding. Unfortunately either these weren't bass or I couldn't get'em to bite... But this image serves to show how the downscan can seperate fish from the bottom while even a quality 2D transducer can not. After posting I realized that in the below image the downscan is coming from the 3D transducer but the 2D image is coming from the Xi5 built-in on the bow. So they are not showing the same image but it still holds true that 2D is limited in locating fish that are holding on the bottom.

Screenshot_2020-06-05_06.50.15 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

Screenshot_2020-06-03_09.26.41 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

In this image you can see where I'm lifting and dropping a 3/4oz. spoon on a school of fish. Most of those fish were ~3# drum....

Screenshot_2020-06-02_15.19.16 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

This image came from the bow HDS 9 Carbon. The left screen is coming from the Airmar TM185HW transducer set to 150Hz mounted on the transom while the right image is coming from the Xi5 built-in 83/200 transducer set to 200Hz.

Screenshot_2020-06-07_09.50.32 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

Then just for the halibut I flipped on FishReveal to see what it looked like... As a general rule I don't use FishReveal.

Screenshot_2020-06-07_12.42.59 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

2. Member
    Awesome images, safe to say you are dialed in!

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Love this post! This stuff is very valuable to guys like me. You know can stick them but cant relate to well with electronics. I mess so much with sensitivity... and its just so disappointing. But this post helps. The screens with settings really help. THANKS
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

4. Member
    Glad it helps... Take note of the 2D image where I'm spooning. Notice that the screen is pretty cluttered. Also notice that the sensitivity is set to A+3 that help make the spoon visible. Another thing, if you're spooning, or dropshotting, at the bow, most times the trolling motor is not perpendicular so when you drop the bait you may not see it on sonar, depends a lot on how deep you're fishing. On my particular situation I can see the bait better when I put the bait on the left side of the trolling motor vs the right side.

I lived on Lanier for 8 years fun lake on the north end.... When they put the blueback in it made it a different fishery I would think you'd need to be pretty decent @ vertical fishing on the south end!

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Yes sir I have been there 2 years now and love it. 25' is magic depth.Coming from VA rivers its a change :) So focusing on electronics. Than you again for your posts and comments.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

6. Member
    Yup, it pleases me to no end that you can post these images, given how frustrated you were 15 months ago. Well done my friend!
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    Yup, it pleases me to no end that you can post these images, given how frustrated you were 15 months ago. Well done my friend!

Yeah... took a li'l dooin' to get there. I'm just glad the last update didn't kill it!

8. Member
    wow, League City, so were those shots in the bay or did you go out to the gulf? I've been wanting to run sidescan going out the jetties.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    wow, League City, so were those shots in the bay or did you go out to the gulf? I've been wanting to run sidescan going out the jetties.
    Those images were actually from Toledo Bend. Salt water is for soakin' sore bodies in!

Those images are awesome! Hope to have mine dialed in this week.

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.

11. Member
    OK, my down imaging does NOT look like that(Carbon 12 and 9 with 3 in 1). I have the latest update. Do i need to go back to one of the 18s? If so, does sticking the card in make the unit install?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    OK, my down imaging does NOT look like that(Carbon 12 and 9 with 3 in 1). I have the latest update. Do i need to go back to one of the 18s? If so, does sticking the card in make the unit install?
    Remember that THE most important part of getting good scanning sonar is placement (and adjustement) of the transducer. Having it in a turbulence free spot is vital.
    Yes, if the update-file is placed on a memorycard, you just put the memorycard in the unit and turn it on. The unit automatically reads from the card and prompts the update, follow the on screen instructions from there.

13. Member
    Thanks, great images.

14. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Yes, great shots there. It's nice to be on a body of water that has a lot going on underwater to see what various types of fish actually look like. That's why I really enjoy going to our Allison rally on Watts Bar because the activity level while graphing is great.

My question with your settings on the first pic is you have your "MODE" set to "GENERAL". I was always taught and have read on here that for us bass fishermen it should be set to "SHALLOW". Please elaborate and explain.

Thanks
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

15. Member
    I love Fish Reveal. It helps locate the fish better and when used side by side with 2D I can definitely depict fish from brush or rip rap on the bottom. Thanks for taking the time to post this info!
    2019 Skeeter FX-21
    250 SHO
    Lowrance 16” Live & 12” Live
    Ghost TM

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Yes, great shots there. It's nice to be on a body of water that has a lot going on underwater to see what various types of fish actually look like. That's why I really enjoy going to our Allison rally on Watts Bar because the activity level while graphing is great.

My question with your settings on the first pic is you have your "MODE" set to "GENERAL". I was always taught and have read on here that for us bass fishermen it should be set to "SHALLOW". Please elaborate and explain.
    Thanks
    The "General" setting is simply an over sight on my part. If you had any ideal how many times I conducted a hard reset while experimenting... Obviously the General setting works. I haven't been on the water since June but the next time I float tha' boat. I'll switch to the shallow setting and see what impact it has. Oh... just as an FYI... I have 3 Carbons and all of them are on the "General" setting.

17. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    ok I'm going to experiment myself with those settings
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

18. Member