Question Milfoil approach

Fished on Stumpfield Saturday (good numbers, only one over 3). The milfoil in the main body is starting to mat out, and too thick to penetrate with a swim jig or 3/16 T-rig. I was getting my fish on the outside weed points, but suspect there were fish in the deeper mats. I was too lazy to set up a second T-rig with extra weight.

I'm guessing that some of the other NH water grass up like this too (Big Island?) Is it worth gearing up and working on punching skills, or just is it a fringe need here in NH? The Nashua River used to mat up real good/bad, but they seem to have increase herbicide treatments there in recent years. Manchester Water seems to be more aggressive with weed control on Massabesic than the past. Haven't been over to the Conn R in a few years, or above the Lakes in 10 years or so.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

Big Island in Derry does not have much milfoil. They've been harvesting it by an underwater vacuum system devised by a guy who I bought my first little aluminum boat from. Was just out today-- fishing has been unbearably slow this year.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

3. Member
    punching is very effective and should not be overlooked, 3/4 to 1 1/4 ounce and creature bait is money when the milfoil is matted.