slowing down proxs 225

<1B778937>
    i have a 2010 mercury 225 proxs. it has approx 190 hours. last season i had a slight change in speed and rpms at wot...was pushing 5550-5600 and speed was around 68 max speed. so i had the spark plugs changed and the linkages for throttle adjusted at the hoot foot to achieve wot. the throttle stop is about 1/16" from the throttle plate on the butterfly . when i took it out i hit 5670 max wot and my speed came back up. this season i took it out and it seemed a little sluggish, but just noticeable. with no issue but that i took my boat out one day after being out all day just a few days prior with no issues . i put it in the water and started it up and immediately got a beep beep beep beep alarm that was constant. i turned the motor off and started it again, same constant beep beep beep. so i loaded the boat and it struggled to get on trailer....strange experience but i looked all over the motor for issues and saw nothing in my mechanical mind. i decide to fish the creek with trolling motor and put it back in the water. this time it started rt up no issues but had a high idle....turned it off and started it again, no problems and normal idle...my smart craft gauge had a "injector fault" alarm...i run only regular gas and quickclean . fished a tournament yesterday and while we were idling waiting on the blast off the same alarm came on, i turned it off and restarted it and it ran fine but i am noticing a loss of rpms and speed...please advise as my shop is slam busy. gary
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-23-2020 at 12:48 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Need to get the engine on the Computer Diagnostic System to determine WHICH injector the fault occurred on. It will also identify if it was a SHORT circuit or an OPEN circuit.

In many cases- the problem is a wiring or connector problem (and NOT an actual injector failure).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    thanks for responding Don and thanks for all you do on these forums!!! i got the motor on a computer today and its a bad injector per the computer. i asked if it could be wiring issue since its only given me the alarm twice but after stopping and restarting had no issues but loss of performance. the prop had a lot of carbon build up that wasnt there weeks ago. i asked about the compression but the technician told me that the computer doesn't tell them that and that they have to do that manually. i am gonna pull the plugs tomorrow and inspect and run a compression test gauge on each cylinder. just hoping shes not hurt from this failure.

4. Member
    sorry, bad air injector!

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hopefully it's not a break in the wiring connector (which is more common than an electrically "intermittent" injector).

The good news is that oil (lubricant) is delivered separately (even with the injector unplugged).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    i asked the tech about that and he said he did the wiggle test on the connector and wiring harness and it wasnt that but not sure if he did a thorough exam of it but i am gonna do my own look. is there any way that just before this all happened i pulled my thermostats to remove a suspect piece of trash. after i was done i sprayed the motor down with silicone spray, we fish a lot of brackish water, next trip out this all happened. could i have sprayed something that made a short circuit??

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Possibly- did you disconnect the DI's and slide the fuel rail back on it's studs when you did the thermostats?

BTW- we still need the Serial Number (required) when posting. Please be sure to update your post.

8. Member
    well i got my boat back from the shop...they said they was a lot of carbon build up in the system. i told them i run quickclean about every other tank full. the air injector they took out was heavily carbed up. tech said they bench tested it and it would even work. so a 1000 bucks later i fish a big tournament and its seems to run fine but still loss of rpms and speed.....any suggestions?...i also have water on the fuel and air rails after this trip. i suspect i had and electrical issue like you said to check. i ran a can of power tune through the intake and after about 2/3 of the can a huge white cloud of smoke blew out. ran a double dose of quickclean in a full tank which we burnt out 35 gallons that day....not sure why i would lose rpms and speed? i typically turn 5675 wot, now i hit 5500 max, i was running 65-68mph but now hitting 60ish? any thought would be greatly appreciated. the motor has 200 hours.....

serial number 1B778937

9. Member
    i dont have to remove the rails at all to pull the thermostats BTW.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    NEVER run Power Tune through the INTAKE (Air Handler) on an Optimax Engine. Not only can you not direct the spray accurately to each cylinder- there is NO FUEL THERE to help wash away the power-tune. So that stuff just sits there, pretty much forever, getting sticky.

Quickare and Quickleen in EVERY tank of fuel. 1oz of each per 5 gallons of 87 octane fuel. See the FAQ section for more important/critical info.

Spark plugs are quite likely destroyed after running Power Tune. That stuff leaves a pretty hard coating on the plugs (I always use an old set or use Power Tune when I know plugs are going to be changed anyway).

11. Member
    what should i do now then to help break it down , take a bottle and drill hole in the cap removing any plastic shavings then spray a gentle mix into the intake to help break it down? bass pro sold me that power tune and said to run it through there like i did once or twice a year....you cant listen to anyone on this kinda stuff it seems. one place tells you one thing another says different. crazy! where can i send my injectors both air and fuel to be cleaned and calibrated correctly?

12. Member
    gas in the bottle i meant to say

13. Member
    See where it says "Injector Service" "Integrity Injection" at the bottom of post #10. Best place!

Quote Originally Posted by garymou812 View Post
    gas in the bottle i meant to say
    Absolutely no gas or chemicals thru the intake
    How far are you from Greenville, SC, may be worth a trip to see Don in person
    Keep in mind very high humidity days with high ambient temps can easily drop 150 RPM
    Thank You Leon Pugh

15. Member
    If I lived in the same state as Don, no matter how far, he'd be my mechanic for anything I couldn't do.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

16. Member
    i think the best thing i could do rt now is pull my system, pack it up and send it to don to clean it all up!!! hard sometimes when merc mechanics tell you one thing and others say dont do that!

Be sure to contact him first, for what he wants and when to ship it in
    Thank You Leon Pugh

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by garymou812 View Post
    i think the best thing i could do rt now is pull my system, pack it up and send it to don to clean it all up!!! hard sometimes when merc mechanics tell you one thing and others say dont do that!
    Strongly suggest that you get in touch with me, at the office next week. Pretty much buried until Monday.

19. Member
    ok i have a couple of tournaments next few weeks but then i am gonna see what works for ya and get that system shipped out!! thanks again Don