Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    yes sir
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

2. Member
    +1!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Awesome! Will follow up with results.

One other thing, I did not add this to this thread since I wanted to keep it separate as it is a bit off topic from the water pressure issue I was having. But I assume it all correlates with the miss-installation of the poppet. My engine was getting an overheat alarm at higher speeds. If I was idling or cruising 35-45mph keeping the RPM's low, temps would stay within operating range. But as soon as I gunned it and planed out the boat doing 55+ mph the temps would increase rapidly triggering the alarm. Once I stopped, the temps would fall back into operating range. I am going to assume that the poppet was also the culprit? Would you guys think so?

I should have tested all this prior to purchasing but where I tested the boat didn't allow long enough fast runs so I never ran into the issue. Been trying to track this thing down for a few months with limited time to work on the rig and get on the water. Once I ran into the problem, I immediately put in an order for an impeller kit, poppet kit, strainer, and 2 thermostats. Unfortunately, after installing everything the overheat alarm was still there... I am hoping it was because of the poppet.

4. Member
    So today I installed the poppet accordingly to the manual. Slapped on the muffs and water pressure reading has actually gone down. Now it's reading .3-.5psi. I am completely stumped now. I have replaced the poppet, thermostats, strainer, and impeller. Do you folks have any more suggestions to check? I have flushed the engine several times with no success. My next plan is to pull the pump again and recheck everything to make sure everything is aligned.

Further research, some folks have mentioned the gasket between the power head and lower unit. What may be an indicator? Thanks!
    Last edited by bunz559; 07-29-2020 at 10:50 PM.

5. Member
    low or no block psi
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Before you delve into the adapter plate gaskets:

-Did you replace THREE (3) Gaskets when you changed the impeller? Have you RE-INSPECTED these gaskets for breaks/tears/missing pieces?

-Have you tried pinching off the hose between the top of the block and the thermostat cover, while monitoring water pressure? If so, what did it rise to?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Also, have you tried it in actual water not on the muffs? Sometimes the muff can’t supply enough water or the muffs leak too much to allow pump to build pressure.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Before you delve into the adapter plate gaskets:

-Did you replace THREE (3) Gaskets when you changed the impeller? Have you RE-INSPECTED these gaskets for breaks/tears/missing pieces?

-Have you tried pinching off the hose between the top of the block and the thermostat cover, while monitoring water pressure? If so, what did it rise to?
    Thanks Don! I've actually been communicating with you through emails. I've just been keeping this thread alive as well. Yes gaskets were changed. I will be reinspecting the gaskets again this evening to ensure gaskets were not damaged on installation.

I ran your suggested diagnostic and pinched the hose that leads to the cover relief valve, PSI at idle went to normal operating levels. Mercsmart was reading 1.2-1.3psi. As soon as I release the hose, PSI drops again.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Also, have you tried it in actual water not on the muffs? Sometimes the muff can’t supply enough water or the muffs leak too much to allow pump to build pressure.
    Yup. Last weekend I took her to the lake and no difference. Low idle PSI and normal PSI when giving her gas.

10. Member
    Just to follow up for future folks who are researching. I've worked with Don and we have figured a solution. Much thanks to him. Probably a hundred emails back and forth trying to figure out what's going on. Don offered all kinds of knowledge and help. He's the man who knows his stuff. Anyways, we came up with an fix. I placed an orifice on an air hose. Has to do with the fitting size or something that Mercury put on a set production of motors, it's too large causing not enough water pressure. I placed the orifice on hose #8 and water pressure is back to normal. Idle PSI is within operating specs and WOT is as well. No over heating issues and all service components related to overheat and low pressure are all replaced and new. Rig runs great, as it should! Thanks again for all the help from this forum.

Air Hoses.jpg

11. Member
    Great to hear!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12