Thread: power problems!

Last edited by OK_BassBum; 12-14-2020 at 11:46 AM.

2. Member
    The dealer is the best place to have this issue worked on. Does seem to be something funky going on with the power issue. As for wiring, in 2019 when Skeeter went Humminbirds, it started running 2 sets of 10ga. wires (orange pos., black neg.) to both the bow and console, that are run directly to the Blue seas switch in the back of the boat. This switch is then hooked directly to the battery. These wires are for dedicated power to the units. There is also 3 sets of accessory wires, 16ga. wires, run to bow and console that are hooked to the acc. button on the main control panel. I've rigged a good number of 2019 zx225 and up, to know that the units are always hooked to the 10ga wires. However, my personal FXR this year had the top cape lowered onto the wire that the stock Helix was rigged to and had to cut it and re-rig it as I was not getting any power. There has been a few cases in the past, from all manufacturers, where screws accidently have been put through wires, or wires rubbed on areas and exposed. Could be something stupid like this going on. Be patient and I know Skeeter will make sure the problem gets resolved.

3. Member
    Given that this is a 2019 model, I would also return to the dealer for diagnosis and repair.

In terms of question 2, there could definitely be condensation there if the temperature differentials are right. Is the compartment lid closed when you are observing this. I also believe those lights will stay on for some time even though there is no power. Does the charge appear to be going through the charging cycle correctly and fully charging each of your batteries (rapid blinking green lights) at the end of the cycle?

4. Member
    Last edited by OK_BassBum; 12-14-2020 at 11:47 AM.

Did you install the HB graphs?
    If they came with the boat they should be covered by the dealer as well

Unfortunately intermittent electrical issues can be one of the hardest things to diagnose
    Hopefully they can track it down quickly and with no more damage
    "The handicapped angler"

6. Member

7. Member
    Definitely sounds like you have a short to ground on a power wire some where. Hope they get you fixed up soon!

8. Member

9. Member
    I have a 2019 FX21 and have had a problem with my solix at helm turning off when I crank the boat a well. I looked at my setup today and the Blue seas switch neg is connected to the battery, but the pos is connected to the power switch. should I take that off the power switch and connect it to the battery? My power poles are also connected to the Blue seas switch. My battery was dead at 1130 today during a tournament and I was not very happy. My battery is a continental 27M-100. I'm looking to change that too. Any suggestions. Kind of disappointed that they didn't install a dual purpose battery. Thanks

10. Member

11. Member
    Thanks for the reply OK BassBum. I charged my batteries as soon as I got home yesterday and was only getting a little over 12v today while I was messing around with my Solix . Looks likes I have a bad battery and only a year old. I hope Densik replies to see if my blue seas is connected correctly.

I have seen a couple of new boats that came with batteries that are too small to handle all the electronics, and after 1/2 day of fishing have low voltage. If you go to a Group 31 AGM, with at least 1000 mca and 800 cca it may just fix a lot of the problems. My son-in-laws new boat had a Group 27, with 800 mca and 650 cca, and had the same problem, after a 1/2 day, the voltage would be in the lower 11 volt range and drop when you started the engine. All the graphs would reboot, The Group 27 battery just barely met the Mercury minimums, but didn't take into account all the electronics. Here's one that a lot of guys are running now.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-...elevance.rr0_1

13. Member
    I had this issue with my 2017 when it was new. Bumped up the battery size and the gauge of wire and haven't had a problem since. I, like you, didn't want to deal with the dealer, much less humminbird's atrocious customer service. Plus it gives you a good idea, even though it seems like you already do, of how everything is wired and run.

14. Member
    Definitely get a 31 series battery! The AGM battery at SAMS Club is a good battery at a great price. I have run mine for 3 seasons without problem. Like mentioned above, make sure you place Graphs on Standby when not in use to save power.

15. Member
    Last edited by OK_BassBum; 12-14-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Sounds like the software got corrupted when the power dropped below 10.8V and they tried to reboot . They may have been trying to load the software when it went crazy and messed things up.

17. Member

18. Member

19. Member
    I ended up getting the Interstate Pure Matrix 31M-AGM. So far so good. Interested it the capacitor. What is that about?

20. Member
    Last edited by OK_BassBum; 12-14-2020 at 11:49 AM.