trailer LED side lights

Do the small LED side lights ever go bad and if so how so? One of mine has been erratic. Sometimes dim, sometime bright, but usually goes out when driving. I assumed it was bad ground so cleaned up that connection but saw no improvement.
    BoBo the Bass Doc
    2015 BassCat Puma
    Ozark Mountain Anglers Bass Club
    Columbia, MO

2. Banned
    Replaced mine last year.
    I'm figuring water ingreshion was the cause.
    Having a ground wire to everything is a good idea as well.

3. Member
    I would first check the GROUND. The lights are all grounded through the frame, to the vehicle ground (white wire) on the wiring harness which is also bolted to the trailer frame. If all lights misbehave, check the front ground. If it is just one, I would remove the nut where it is attached, clean the ring connector, clean whatever it is connected to. If it is a bolt through the frame, make sure the bolt has a good ground on the frame (paint, etc) can cause a poor connection.

Sounds like a ground by the flickering. LEDs usually work or don't work, they rarely flicker as a failure mode, particularly all three (three LEDs in most of the marker lights I have seen.)
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    I would first check the GROUND. If it is just one, I would remove the nut where it is attached, clean the ring connector, clean whatever it is connected to. If it is a bolt through the frame, make sure the bolt has a good ground on the frame (paint, etc) can cause a poor connection.

Sounds like a ground by the flickering. LEDs usually work or don't work, they rarely flicker as a failure mode, particularly all three (three LEDs in most of the marker lights I have seen.)
    Oldtimer, that is exactly what I did as far as working on cleaning the ground connection for the one light. Maybe not done well enough.
    BoBo the Bass Doc
    2015 BassCat Puma
    Ozark Mountain Anglers Bass Club
    Columbia, MO

5. Bobby8
    You might check the connection at the splice. My wire had pulled out.

6. Member
    Dimming lights sure point to a ground issue for sure

7. Member
    I am battling a right rear light problem as well on my 2018 trailer. Replaced the right side Basscat emblem light on the trailer, it had been out for a couple weeks, hoping it would fix the rear light, no luck. Going to replace the marker light, which is out as well, and hope that fixes it. Richard has been sending me lights so I appreciate that.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    I am battling a right rear light problem as well on my 2018 trailer. Replaced the right side Basscat emblem light on the trailer, it had been out for a couple weeks, hoping it would fix the rear light, no luck. Going to replace the marker light, which is out as well, and hope that fixes it. Richard has been sending me lights so I appreciate that.
    Got mine fixed, it was a bad ground. Crawled under there and put a new 63 cent bolt in and it worked fine.

Lights that flicker or go dim are seeing definite indications of a poor ground.