Thread: 1991 faststrike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1991 faststrike

I have 1991 faststrike 175 (j175gleis) that recently laid down. I checked compression and found the two middle cylinders to be considerably lower than the others. When I got into it, I found the crankshaft was broken completely in half right between the middle two connecting rods. I inspected the block, and the cap that covers the crank, and noticed some wear where that middle seal ring rides. My guess is, the broken crank wobbled, getting into the block and cap.
    I have just acquired a 1996 150 faststrike (j150eleom) with a good block and crank. My question is can I take all the components; reeds, carbs, cdi, etc...from the 91 175 and use them on the 96 150 block without issue?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Move the heads and carbs along with the throttle bodies over. Keep everything else for spares. Use this site shop2.evinrude.com to compare the rest of the parts.

And when you get it back together you may want to look at RPM's, excessive RPM's will break that crank again.

4. Member
    Thanks guys.
    5800 recommended RPM’s?

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Operating range is 4500-5500 RPM Pack rev limiter is 6100. You don't want those internals becoming externals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsp1970 View Post
    Thanks guys.
    5800 recommended RPM’s?
    And now we know what happened to the crank shaft...

7. Member
    Thanks.
    I just picked up the cowl from the guy I got the 150 from, it doesn’t say faststrike on it anywhere. You guys know if that model number is indeed a faststrike?

On those motors the name on the covers was hype, the engines were all Eagles and only the first year had extra Horse Power, OMC was made to replace the cylinder heads to bring the horse power down to the 150 range.

9. Member
    I’ve had the ‘91 175 for 17 years, I’m second owner, The previous owner must have taken it in for the recall because they are not the “hot” heads. 338311 are the numbers on them. I have no complaints though, it has been a very dependable motor!
    thanks for your help and info!

10. Member
    In 1991 we had a standrd 60 degree block 150 and 175 and also the Faststrike and Intruder 150 and 175 motors. The Faststrike and Intruder motors had different carbs and Hi performance lower motor mounts. I think there was only around $150.00 difference in dealer cost, we only ordered the Intruder. I don't think I ever dyno ran a std 150 or 175, so I can't tell you the difference. Your model number is a Faststrike motor.

11. Member
    Are you referring to the 150 model number or the 175 model number?or both?
    Thanks

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsp1970 View Post
    Are you referring to the 150 model number or the 175 model number?or both?
    Thanks
    I was referring to your 1991 175. I believe that all Intruder and Faststrike motors in those years, had the gle in the model number, so I don't think your 150 motor is a Faststrike. But I don't know what the difference in motors was in 1996. I know about the 1991, I'm still running my 1991 Intruder, one of the first ones, with no modifications. Unbelievable HP in the 4400 to 4800 rpm. I would prop your boat out at 5400 top end. Sorry about the first post, I got distracted, not a good thing at my age.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Move the heads and carbs along with the throttle bodies over. Keep everything else for spares. Use this site shop2.evinrude.com to compare the rest of the parts.
    Doing this will basically make it a 175 correct? If so, will the gearcase be able to withstand the extra hp?
    Thanks

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Gearcase is the same in both models. Carb bodies are the same, the 175 has larger orifices and bigger throttle bodies. If you are going to move them over, it would be a perfect time to install a set of Carson reeds.

15. Member
    Gearcase is the same in both models. Carb bodies are the same, the 175 has larger orifices and bigger throttle bodies. If you are going to move them over, it would be a perfect time to install a set of Carson reeds.
    Where is a good place to get the Carson reeds and Gasket kit for this task?
    Also, the center cylinder on both the stbd and port heads have minor pitting from where the seal ring broken pieces got in there. Is that something to worry about, maybe have a machine shop smooth it up?

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    www.chriscarsonmarine.com he's a sponsor here as well. You're gonna junk the 91 anyway right? If so then don't worry about it.

17. Member
    Junk the block, yes. But it’s the heads that have the pitting.
    Probably doesn’t affect the advice/info given, but I looked up the model number on the 150, I think it’s a 1995 not ‘96.

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Big red plug 95 and older, multi wire harness 96 and up. Can always take the heads to a machine shop and have them surfaced.

19. Member
    Should I change motor mounts as well? I heard the faststrike mounts were beefed up, is that so?

20. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you want to, but check the FICHT mounts and compare the part numbers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast