Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

135 Ho Goes down

I have a 2020 1880 that is less than a year old. We were at Green River Lake yesterday and catching some really nice fish, motor was running like a top, but at idle I noticed it sounded like it had a rattle, I hollered at a buddy on his boat to watch the motor to make sure it was pissing right, everything was good as he followed me both at speed and idle. We fished until about noon, and it was hot, so we went in to the dock to go back to the rental house for a few hours. This area has a pretty good stretch of idle only speed to get into the marina, about 30 yards from the dock the motor really started rattling, heard a grind, and then it just quit. I tried to re-start, to no avail. I drop the trolling motor let my buddy off and told him to sink the trailer so we could hand load the boat. We got back to the house, I let the boat sit for about and hour and then went out to bump the motor, it made a whining sound and backfired. I am no mechanic, but being a fuel injected motor, it should no have done that. We cut our trip short and came home mad as hell, I bought new to avoid this very situation, not to mention Rude just went down on outboards. I do not for-see this being a small issue, I think something let go internally. I probably have less than 25 hours on the motor, so I will call tomorrow to see how big of a hassle this will turn into.

2. Member
    Shouldn't be a hassle at all, other than it shouldn't have happened, they will warranty it and make it good as new I'm sure. Hate your trip was cut short because of it.

3. Banned
    Sux but it’ll be ok

Man that sucks. But, I honestly don't think you will have an issue with the warranty. It is still very early on with the discontinuation to have any impact on warranty. I would be mad as hell too, especially if it happened on an out of town fishing trip.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    Man that sucks. But, I honestly don't think you will have an issue with the warranty. It is still very early on with the discontinuation to have any impact on warranty. I would be mad as hell too, especially if it happened on an out of town fishing trip.
    Yea it cost me a few hundred already, not to mention the fishing we left behind. I talked to Tom today at Vexus, he could not have been a nicer guy, I then called the salesman I bought the boat from to make sure the dealer could handle this job as well as a few issues with the boat warranty as they are closed on Mondays. Now I gotta take all this stuff out of the boat, feels like I'm gonna need a moving van.

6. Member
    Let us know the results. Hopefully it's a quick fix.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    Let us know the results. Hopefully it's a quick fix.
    I'll let ya know, but it ain't no quick fix. The back-fire indicated a piston stuck in the half position which means a new power-head is needed. My biggest concern is what caused it, as I baby the motor and my hotfoot has the bolt ran all the way out, keeping me or anyone from running woot. 47 is the fastest it ever hit.

8. Member
    Maybe it was never broken in properly if you don't ever allow it to go WOT?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelly View Post
    Maybe it was never broken in properly if you don't ever allow it to go WOT?
    My thoughts as well. Got to get those rings to seat or you are screwed.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    Not sure on the G1/135's, but the G2's there is no break-in period. It is turn key and run it how you want from hour 1. If the G1 does have a break-in process, running at WOT for a period of time is definitely a part of it.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    It's a 2 cycle, no break-in needed.

12. Member
    I had a 135HO for three years and had my oil pump replaced year 2. In my case the motor was flooding with oil, i would have a puddle of clean oil on the floor after every trip.
    The explanation i got was the oil pump was sucking air forcing the computer to compensate by adding more oil. Have the pump checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntucky View Post
    It's a 2 cycle, no break-in needed.
    Does it say no breakin in your owners manual. The g1 motors have a breakin period and its pretty important and running wot once in awhile is good thing especially for seating the rings. Not achieving wot rpm does more harm then good.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

14. Member
    No breakin needed on that motor!

G1 and G2 had no break in required. The EMM did all the work for you. Just hammer down and run.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

There is a break in on a g2, but it does it for you in the background and you never know except increasing speeds around 10hrs. But wide open is good for these motors. Babying them does more harm than good.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

17. Member
    The motor double oils while it is being broken in. I take it in Thursday, and after talking to a Tech, I might never know what caused it. He told me they usually break them down on a motor this new, but since Rude is out of the game , he does not know if they will want this or just trash it and send me a new complete engine or just a power-head. I know until I get it back, I will be like a kid without their cell phone.

18. Member
    off topic, but i had to drive to london ky and back from ne ar monday & tuesday, and seemed like i crossed the green river 20 times!!

19. Member
    I got a call from the dealer, The flywheel let go , sheared some bolts, and all hell broke loose in the motor, needless to say, it is toast. Video was sent to Evinrude, the dealer asked for a complete dressed top instead of just a power-head, due to the extent of the damage the flywheel caused when it broke apart..........Now we wait to see what Evinrude wants to do.

Personally , I was glad to hear it was not an internal issue that caused this, I wanted a two stroke because they are a very reliable motor. Quality control at Evinrude missed this one, but it is what it is.

20. Member
    Bad luck. Hope they sort you out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast