Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    Not sure on the G1/135's, but the G2's there is no break-in period. It is turn key and run it how you want from hour 1. If the G1 does have a break-in process, running at WOT for a period of time is definitely a part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by javjoe View Post
    No breakin needed on that motor!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntucky View Post
    The motor double oils while it is being broken in. I take it in Thursday, and after talking to a Tech, I might never know what caused it. He told me they usually break them down on a motor this new, but since Rude is out of the game , he does not know if they will want this or just trash it and send me a new complete engine or just a power-head. I know until I get it back, I will be like a kid without their cell phone.

I have a G1 E-TECH 150 HO which is basically the same motor as the 135 HO except the 135 is de-tuned to make less HP. Mechanically and electrically they are pretty much the same motors with only a few stubble differences.

Now regarding the "no break in period"...here is what my tech told me. Before the motor has left the factory Evinrude has put a small amount of time on the motor in a tank. After they have ran the motor they package it up and send it out to a dealer to install. Now there is a break in program feature in the computer. It will add extra oil (note I did not say double oil) but extra oil at certain rpm's until a set time is meet. I don't recall the exact numbers but I want to say anytime the motor is above 1500 rpm extra oil is added and as the rpm increases the amount of extra oil that's added also increases. The computer keeps track of how long the motor runs in each rpm ban. If you have ever seen a print out of an engine rpm profile you will know what I am talking about and how detailed the information is. Heck I tell people my motor has a second meter instead of an hour meter because when they gave me my print out after my 3 year check up it told hours, minutes and seconds of how long it had ran in a particular rpm range. ie: 0-999, 1-2000, 2-3000, 3-4000, 4-5000, how long above 6000 and the exact max rpm down to the single digit. So just so people know there is no way to fool someone and say I ran it gently like a little lady going to Sunday school when if fact they ran it like a scalded dog because the computer registers every second it has ran and what rpm it was ran at. Now to be clear I am not implying any wrong doing buy the OP. I just wanted throw that info out there that way if you go to buy a motor you can ask for the engine data profile and see for yourself exactly how it was ran. Also engine rpm is just the tip of the iceberg of information you get. There is a TON of information on a engine data print out. Anyways I "think" once 5 hours of rpm over 1500 is achieved the extra oil process is disabled in the computer. Technically it may take 8,9 or 10 hours to get the over 5 hours above 1500 if a person does a lot of idling. Now in the event the power-head is rebuilt a tech can hook his lap top to the computer and re initiate the extra oil/break in program.

So yes there is "technically" no break in period but there is an extra oil added period. Evinrude puts some time on the motor before it left the factory and it adds extra oil but only above cretin rpm's and only for a set amount of time...now with that being said all of what I have typed thus far except for the first two sentences is what the tech who installed my motor told me to the best of my memory. At the time he was one of the very few Master Certified Evindrude techs in my area and I trust his word. Unfortunately for me he sold his private shop and moved north and is currently a 2.5-3 hour drive away at another dealership.

Now my next statement comes from one of the very well respected Evinrude techs here at BBC....E-Tech's may not have a break-in period but its still best to let the internals get to know each other on a good basis before you start spinning them wide open....SO take it easy for the first 10 hours, don't make long runs at a constant rpm, vary the rpm's and keep wide open throttle runs down to a couple minutes. After 10 hours then shes ready to eat.

For the OP...I live 4 miles from GRL (Holmes Bend). If you ever see a white Javelin trimmed in blue with red pinstripes and a white E-TECH 150 HO with a set of Talons stop and say hello. I rarely fish weekends. Monday or Tuesday I am out there on a regular basis.
    Last edited by JR19; 06-19-2020 at 10:42 PM.

2. Member
    Sorry for this trouble, but thank you for keeping us informed on the process. Love my G2, but hearing how they will handle this warranty claim after their shutdown will be interesting to us Evinrude folks.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I have a G1 E-TECH 150 HO which is basically the same motor as the 135 HO except the 135 is de-tuned to make less HP. Mechanically and electrically they are pretty much the same motors with only a few stubble differences.

Now regarding the "no break in period"...here is what my tech told me. Before the motor has left the factory Evinrude has put a small amount of time on the motor in a tank. After they have ran the motor they package it up and send it out to a dealer to install. Now there is a break in program feature in the computer. It will add extra oil (note I did not say double oil) but extra oil at certain rpm's until a set time is meet. I don't recall the exact numbers but I want to say anytime the motor is above 1500 rpm extra oil is added and as the rpm increases the amount of extra oil that's added also increases. The computer keeps track of how long the motor runs in each rpm ban. If you have ever seen a print out of an engine rpm profile you will know what I am talking about and how detailed the information is. Heck I tell people my motor has a second meter instead of an hour meter because when they gave me my print out after my 3 year check up it told hours, minutes and seconds of how long it had ran in a particular rpm range. ie: 0-999, 1-2000, 2-3000, 3-4000, 4-5000, how long above 6000 and the exact max rpm down to the single digit. So just so people know there is no way to fool someone and say I ran it gently like a little lady going to Sunday school when if fact they ran it like a scalded dog because the computer registers every second it has ran and what rpm it was ran at. Now to be clear I am not implying any wrong doing buy the OP. I just wanted throw that info out there that way if you go to buy a motor you can ask for the engine data profile and see for yourself exactly how it was ran. Also engine rpm is just the tip of the iceberg of information you get. There is a TON of information on a engine data print out. Anyways I "think" once 5 hours of rpm over 1500 is achieved the extra oil process is disabled in the computer. Technically it may take 8,9 or 10 hours to get the over 5 hours above 1500 if a person does a lot of idling. Now in the event the power-head is rebuilt a tech can hook his lap top to the computer and re initiate the extra oil/break in program.

So yes there is "technically" no break in period but there is an extra oil added period. Evinrude puts some time on the motor before it left the factory and it adds extra oil but only above cretin rpm's and only for a set amount of time...now with that being said all of what I have typed thus far except for the first two sentences is what the tech who installed my motor told me to the best of my memory. At the time he was one of the very few Master Certified Evindrude techs in my area and I trust his word. Unfortunately for me he sold his private shop and moved north and is currently a 2.5-3 hour drive away at another dealership.

Now my next statement comes from one of the very well respected Evinrude techs here at BBC....E-Tech's may not have a break-in period but its still best to let the internals get to know each other on a good basis before you start spinning them wide open....SO take it easy for the first 10 hours, don't make long runs at a constant rpm, vary the rpm's and keep wide open throttle runs down to a couple minutes. After 10 hours then shes ready to eat.

For the OP...I live 4 miles from GRL (Holmes Bend). If you ever see a white Javelin trimmed in blue with red pinstripes and a white E-TECH 150 HO with a set of Talons stop and say hello. I rarely fish weekends. Monday or Tuesday I am out there on a regular basis.
    Thanks for the reply, much appreciate it. I went through what I would call a slow break-in, even though I didn't need to, the dealer Tech was pretty good at explaining what you just told me, I knew these new computers could darn near tell you what you ate after farting on the boat. I wanted a readout of everything on the motor, but the Tech told me once the flywheel broke apart and sheered some blots, it tore up jack, and he could not even hook it up. They are going to let me look at it when I go to pick it up after the fix, I will snap some pics before I leave.

You are a lucky man living so close to GRL, I have met some real good people there, maybe one day we can run into each-other and tell some fish stories.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciate it. I went through what I would call a slow break-in, even though I didn't need to, the dealer Tech was pretty good at explaining what you just told me, I knew these new computers could darn near tell you what you ate after farting on the boat. I wanted a readout of everything on the motor, but the Tech told me once the flywheel broke apart and sheered some blots, it tore up jack, and he could not even hook it up. They are going to let me look at it when I go to pick it up after the fix, I will snap some pics before I leave.

You are a lucky man living so close to GRL, I have met some real good people there, maybe one day we can run into each-other and tell some fish stories.
    Obviously you want to get it repaired where you bought it. If down the road you need a tech to troubleshoot anything Craig Aslot who formerly owned M+C Marine in Shepherdsville KY is an excellent Evinrude tech. He has his Evinrude Master Certification and done warranty work. He sold his business to Anglers Outpost Marine so they could open a second store. Craig moved north into Indiana near Potoka Lake. He is currently running a mobile marine service and has a shop at his house. He was about 1.5 hr away from me when he was in Shepherdsville but now he is more like 3 hours away from me. I highly recommend him as a tech.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    They should just send a new motor.

6. Member
    Got a call today, BRP is sending out a new dressed Powerhead. I might get my boat back next week.

7. Member
    Wow! That is great news and quick. They can bolt it on and you’re good to go.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbug View Post
    Wow! That is great news and quick. They can bolt it on and you’re good to go.
    2 weeks of not knowing was not good, I felt like a kid who lost their cell phone, kinda crazy feeling, missing some nice days and not being able to hit the lake when you want to. Going to upper Michigan over the 4th, to fish with some friends, then back to Detroit to fish St Clair.

9. Member
    2 weeks of not knowing was not good, I felt like a kid who lost their cell phone, kinda crazy feeling, missing some nice days and not being able to hit the lake when you want to. Going to upper Michigan over the 4th, to fish with some friends, then back to Detroit to fish St Clair.
    Right now, there's no doubt they still have plenty on supplies on hand. It's maybe a year or 2 down the road is when I think it might get a bit iffy.

10. Member
    So... asking for a friend... can you tune a 135 to put out 150HP? Is it a flash like some of the yamahas?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by discojon75 View Post
    So... asking for a friend... can you tune a 135 to put out 150HP? Is it a flash like some of the yamahas?
    Probably since it is a de-tuned 150, but you better know what you are doing. I just don't see why one would do that, the HO gives at least 10% more HP than what is on the motor, so the gain would be minimal.

12. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by discojon75 View Post
    I would think that question is better suited for the OMC/Bomb forum.

13. Member
    135HO=148 HP
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    135HO=148 HP
    A 150 is more than 150 as well

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

15. Member
    AVX 1880 135 ho speeds ?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickl View Post
    AVX 1880 135 ho speeds ?
    I can get 53mph. 2 in the boat, 1/2 tank of gas. Thinking in cold water and air by myself I would get 55.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    A 150 is more than 150 as well
    150HO = 165 HP
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12