Thinking about getting a "new to us" travel trailer

We currently have a Freedom Express 310 BHDS travel trailer that has served us well, but the past two seasons we have settled into a seasonal spot at a place we really like that is close enough to home to make getting back and forth to work easy, yet feels like we are away from it all when we are at the camper at our seasonal spot. That said, I think we may have outgrown our current camper (like more living space, maybe another slide and/or bigger bedroom for us) and are thinking about purchasing a new to us camper (never buy new due to depreciation and cost of new), but I think before we do, I would really like to hear from people on rv brands they have had good luck with from a quality build standpoint and a layout/design standpoint. I do realize that having access to quality service department makes ALL the difference when it comes to the overall satisfaction level with a rv unit, but that aside, which brands have worked for you? We have two teenagers still in the fold with us, so the bunk house design is still a must. Appreciate your feedback based on your experience.

2. Member
    You can research until the cows come home and find out that every brand is the absolute best and the absolute worst.
    I know that is what I found out over the past six months before recently buying my Flagstaff 5er. Wife and I decided on this unit because it was priced exceptionally well and was in as near new condition as a 7 year old unit could be. I wish I could provide more detailed information regarding specific brands but honestly I think the best way to find out is to actually walk through the unit see how it has held up. Visit multiple dealers and walk through their used units, even units you arent interested in, and see how brand A compares to brand B and C, etc. Look in the areas that really get used like the kitchen and bathroom. Check out the slides. Check the walls and ceiling for any water damage. Best of luck in your search!

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

3. Member
    My research led me to Grand Design. Winnebago bought them a few years back but sounds like they have not dropped in quality.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman469 View Post
    You can research until the cows come home and find out that every brand is the absolute best and the absolute worst.
    I know that is what I found out over the past six months before recently buying my Flagstaff 5er. Wife and I decided on this unit because it was priced exceptionally well and was in as near new condition as a 7 year old unit could be. I wish I could provide more detailed information regarding specific brands but honestly I think the best way to find out is to actually walk through the unit see how it has held up. Visit multiple dealers and walk through their used units, even units you arent interested in, and see how brand A compares to brand B and C, etc. Look in the areas that really get used like the kitchen and bathroom. Check out the slides. Check the walls and ceiling for any water damage. Best of luck in your search!
    Spot on Jeff. You are totally accurate in your description. I think it really comes down to price, layout and service. Can you get the layout you want, at the price you want with the service you need. Thank you for the input. I appreciate it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breeves2245 View Post
    My research led me to Grand Design. Winnebago bought them a few years back but sounds like they have not dropped in quality.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/
    This is a brand we are strongly considering. The features included in their builds are truly camper friendly, almost like the campers were made by people who camp. Storage compartments, entertainment layout, bathroom design and other indoor/outdoor creature comforts make them a really attractive rig. Just come with a pretty premium price tag.

6. Member
    My next trailer will have aluminum siding. tired of fiberglass problems on a 2015

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    My next trailer will have aluminum siding. tired of fiberglass problems on a 2015
    Interesting. We have had some delamination on our 2016 trailer, for no particular reason. What do you think you gain/lose by going to aluminum?

8. Member
    Dont like having to buff out the oxidation every year.Front and rear panels only 1/4 inch thick and delaminating .