Thread: Neko rookie

Neko rookie

So I tried neko for the first time seriously the other and did pretty good. I put a nail weight into a ocho and caught a couple good ones so I want to learn more. Questions for you experience neko guys- do you generally like to use a thin worm or a fatter stick style bait? What is the weight sinker do you usually use? I read on this forum that you can insert the nail from behind the head so it stays in better. That puts the weigh a bit to one side of the worm. Do you put the hook on the other side of where there is more weight?

2. Banned
    I jumped in this technique a few years back i will neko rig almost every worm i own for dropshot and senkos it really depends on what the fish are doing if theyre deep i use a 3/16 nail with a senko what ive noticed with senkos you want to hook the worm right in the center and with straight tails i hook the worm a little lower but not too low or the worm tends to want to fall over i also really like fishing docks with a 4.5 st roboworm with a 1/16 ounce weight but you can really neko rig anything craws flukes just a different look most guys aren't utilizing

3. Member
    I've been using the neko for 2 years now. I honestly think it's one of the most versatile rigs out there. Shallow, deep, on the weedlines, on docks. When it really shines for me is the dead of summer when I'm fishing off shore structure or deep weedlines. I was never confident offshore until I started using the neko out there. I use regular Yum Dingers or the Daiwa Neko Fats. Yum Genies are pretty good too.

I've been using the 6 inch Zoom Trick worm, the Neko Sleeves (http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1042841) and 1.25 inch sheet rock screws. Has produced the majority of the fish I've caught this year.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

I've experimented with a ton of different baits on a Neko rig. After trying way too many...and I mean WAY too many...I've sort of landed back on the idea that you can't beat a Trick Worm or Senko (or Senko style bait - here's one area where I think you might be better off with one that's not a Yamamoto). One thin profile, one thicker profile. Experiment to see what they want on a given day, though I seem to have the most luck with a Trick Worm day in and day out. I use the tungsten nail weights that you can completely insert into the bait, and unless I'm fishing pretty shallow (less than 5 feet), I'm always using the heaviest one omfishingsinkers sells which I think is 7/64, or basically 1/8. I insert the nail weight into the bait then super glue (or Mend-It, if you'd rather) behind it. They'll sling out occasionally if you don't glue them in some way. I use tubing similar to the G7 and rig them with the hook point up (away from the weight) under the tubing, in line (not perpendicular) to the worm, and position it so that the bait hangs basically evenly when held up in the air. This usually means hooking quite a bit closer to the head than the tail, though it's closer to the middle on fatter baits like Senkos. This setup works awesome.

I do think that using a weight with an exposed portion could be preferable in some situations, namely around rocks where you get some sound out of it. For me, I'm almost always in some proximity to weeds, so having any part of the weight sticking out just means I'm that much more likely to get fouled up.

I also don't mean to say that other baits won't work. Naming just some of the baits I've used, I've tried a Neko Flick, regular Flick Shake, AirTail Wiggler, Exostick, Bang StickZ, FattyZ, a couple different craw type baits, and a bunch more. Even as much as a soft plastics hoarder as I am, I've never felt like any of these helped me get more bites. Simplifying even further, I've never felt than any more detail than a fatter profile (Senko-style) or thinner profile (Trick Worm) made a difference in the bites I was getting.

As for when to fish it, I usually try to use it as a complement to a drop shot. If you're on a finessey bite, there are often days where they'll prefer a bait either off the bottom (drop shot) or more on the bottom (Neko). Or even on a given day, some fish will prefer one while others prefer the other. Of course there are fish that will bite both, but it's been surprising to me how many times I've caught fish on a spot with one technique then picked up several more after switching to the other. Of course it also works around docks and other hard cover where you might not otherwise throw a drop shot.

One last thing that I'm sure no one cares about: "Neko" is a Japanese word, so I asked my Japanese colleague how to pronounce it. He confirmed it's "nehhko" as opposed to "neeko." I still have a hard time pronouncing it "nehhko," but in case anyone ever wondered, there you go!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

6. Member
    Thanks Drew. I was hoping you would comment. When you say that this is where the senko might not be the best, is it because you might want something lighter for the action? The ocho worked well for me and I am thinking something even lighter like a yum dinger might work too.

7. Member
    Dingers work great for neko rig. Thanks to their density, the weight stays in them well. For skipping under docks, I glue the weight in.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Thanks Drew. I was hoping you would comment. When you say that this is where the senko might not be the best, is it because you might want something lighter for the action? The ocho worked well for me and I am thinking something even lighter like a yum dinger might work too.
    That's exactly what I throw on them most times. I think them being lighter helps with action for sure, and having less salt in them means they hold up better and the weight is less likely to push through just like Pagregss mentions. If you could find a salt free option (or maybe have someone who pours baits make you some), it might be even better!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post

One last thing that I'm sure no one cares about: "Neko" is a Japanese word, so I asked my Japanese colleague how to pronounce it. He confirmed it's "nehhko" as opposed to "neeko." I still have a hard time pronouncing it "nehhko," but in case anyone ever wondered, there you go!
    Your Japanese colleague may have also told you that Neko is Japanese for cat. The name of the rig is the idea of what a cat's paw looks like moving (like reaching for something). The idea is that your Neko rigged plastic is doing something similar on the lake bottom.

Good info on the Neko rig btw. I too have noticed that fish will seem to have a preference some days between it and a drop shot.

10. Member
    I started fishing with Neko Rig not long ago and tried different type worm including senko. The one I use the most and also successful the most is Zman ZinkerZ and Zman Finesse worm, the best part is last a lot longer than any other type worm and I can fish as slow or just simply dead sticking. My second choice would be Roboworm Straight tail worm. Senko I found I have to move the lure fast and sometime fish just like shakey head.

11. Member
    What hook are you all using and what would be the best weedless option?
    They aint got hands, set the hook

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    , I'm almost always in some proximity to weeds,
    This is the most important thing I have noticed in regards to where to fish a neko. Whether it is a deep weed line or shallow weed line, I always do the best when I'm casting it just into the weed line and working it out. Working it along the edge of the weed line (parallel) also produces for me. Deep or shallow it gets bit when you're near them.

Fishing is Life, I use the VMC neko hooks. They are sticky as hell. Can't believe how those little hooks stick in fish. Have to use pliers to get them out half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    What hook are you all using and what would be the best weedless option?
    I have yet to try a true Neko rig, but tried what Gary Yamamoto called a "Chicken Rig". I ended up just using an EWG in the nose of my Zoom Trick worm, with a 1.25" decking screw in the tail. I named it "The Dumb Bass Rig". Since, I have just used a 4" Dinger with a smaller EWG and a Neko (VMC, perhaps) weight in the tail. My OFB tried a true Neko rig last week at Banks Lk. using the worms, hooks, rings and weights from a Neko kit he got from TW. I don't think he caught anything on the Neko, but did ok on a DS with a 4" Zoom lizard. I did ok with a Shakyhead with V&M Jr. Swamp Hog. Perhaps I should have stuck with the usual 5" Zoom lizard, but I wanted to try the V&M bait.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

14. Member
    I agree with pretty much everything Drew said. I use to try a bunch of different baits but have settled into those two also. Though the trick worm I’ve been having the most success with has been the Netbait T Mac worm. I’ve been having greater success with an 1/8oz lead weight. On weedy largemouth lakes the rig actually gets through the vegetation very well. And when I’m on the finesse bite I’ll fish it along side a drop shot with a straight tail worm

Let the fish where you fish tell you which plastic they like. Whatever you use, I would definitely reccomend getting the sleeves and the tool, save you a ton of time and baits & weights
    This is the kit is use >>>>> http://bit.ly/33fCOCC