Things that make you laugh when fishing

Today was one of those days. Been on a great shallow flipping/pitching bite into thick brush in 0'-2' of water. They have been biting all day long in it no matter how hot it is outside etc for almost 2 weeks now. First 2 fish I hooked and they wrapped me up and i could see them but pulled off before I could land them. No biggies as they were just 2lbers. Third bite was the same but I absolutely refused to let that one get off. I hit the TM and go barreling into the brush. It was just a 2 1/2-3lber and had me wrapped up. I can't get close enough to lip it so here I can with my boat in the brush hanging over the bow, trying not to break my depthfinder and mount or break my rod just praying to God a snake does not fall on my head from the limbs above me. Took me 5 minutes to finally reach it but I was proud to land it......afterwards I thought "you big dummy"....

Had a pretty good day of catching fish and decided to hit one last spot on my way in. I am pitching to shallow docks and catching one here and there. I finish up on the last dock in that pocket and I am literally on a bare flat in about 2' of water. I go to make a cast as I had a loop on my spool I wanted to clean up from last cast. I make a short pitch to absolutely nothing. Its just a shallow flat. I pull loop out and start reeling. I feel pressure and as luck would have it I catch a random 6lber just hanging out. She was pretty postspawn and skinny. Crazy part is she was just there even though its bare.....I guess its better to be lucky than good as my biggest was 5lbs today till that one....here I am disssecting heavy cover and docks all day making pinpoint precision casts with the exact amount of chart. dip on the tail of my bait. That bait was also the super secret magic color made with unicorn tears and Sasquatch sweat and my biggest fish comes on a random cast to fix a small backlash....figures......

Somedays it is better to be lucky than good

3. Banned
    Great day for sure if it was me. Been very slow for me. Hopefully it will get better.

4. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    When a Pike grabs the bait just before I pull it out of the water

At the time it wasn't funny....but a few years ago they popped open the gates at Toronto Lake and I drove over there to catch a few catfish coming up the river. Water release was a significant amount and I knew for sure I'd get into some nice size catfish. In my haste to get there I neglected to put my poles in the back of the truck. Have always had a camper shell so I can store valuables. I know my jaw dropped as far as it could when I opened the camper shell door and saw that my poles were not there.

I have only done that once....experience is a great teacher. Was mad at myself at the time but laugh at it now when sharing stories with my fishing buddies when fishing. Needless to say, I did drive back home and get my fishing poles.
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

6. Member
    I had a day like that once. I tied on a buzz bait and was still sitting on the deck of the boat. I make a short cast to see how straight it’s tracking and caught the biggest fish of the day. Totally random cast to nothing.

7. Member
    Fishing the Potomac and they were not biting. I switched to a buzz bait. Threw it to some shallow water and backlashed. Once I picked the tangle out, I sterted to reel in to try again, but there was a 3 lb. bass already on. He must have decided to hit it as it lay on the bottom.

I guess you have to look at it this way, they gotta cruise across those nothing looking areas in order to get to the brush, you just happened to come across one that was “in between”.
    Triton Tr17, Yamaha 130
    Lund Pro V 1900, Optimax 200
    Smokercraft Pro Mag 182, Suzuki DF140
    Helix 9si, 10si mega
    Minnkota Talon, Terrova

9. Member
    Rode two hours with my partner to tournament site and launched only to find out that he had left the keys to the boat at home and didn't have a second set of keys. That was over twenty years ago and I still kid him about it. I always keep a second set of boat keys in the console of my truck even thou I never take the keys out of my boat.

10. Member
    You know when I got “lucky” and caught a 6 lb’er? I can’t remember, I’m not lying. Yesterday afternoon I hooked about 40 and maybe got 15 in the boat (gay blade). That doesn’t make me happy anymore. All were wieners.
    Last edited by xcoach; 06-06-2020 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmscoach View Post
    You know when I got “lucky” and caught a 6 lb’er? I can’t remember, I’m not lying. Yesterday afternoon I hooked about 40 and maybe got 15 in the boat (gay blade). That doesn’t make me happy anymore. All were wieners.
    If it were not for luck or dumb fish I would be in trouble.

12. Member
    When I watch someone else fall out of a boat! Make sure they’re ok before laughing to much.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

I was fishing skinny water just kinda drifting and hitting the trolling motor now and then to go around docks when I cane upon 2 ladies laying on a dock, I heard one say " I love my husband , But I don't know what I would do without my vibrator, she no more got it out of her mouth when her eyes locked on mine, talk about turning red, she couldn't sprint to the cabin fast enough. I still laugh ever time I think about it.

14. Member
    Bought a good looking bait at a flea mkt. The guy only had one and there was no marking of any kind, I tied it on while fishing a "T" a week later. Had it hanging bout 8 in of line on side of boat. While fishing a ledge something tried to jerk that bait off, had to step on the rod to save it. never seen the fish and never seen that bait again but I still look for it !

15. robdy72
    Goes to show you just don't never know and cant go by the book.

16. Member
    That’s usually how it goes.
    Praying for a Cure

17. Member
    Back in the late 90s I took a personal day and fished a carry in only lake. I beat that lake to death and all I could get to bite was 5 fish that I caught on mini spinnerbaits. I work my way back to the launch and as I approach I see a guy with a pickup backed up to the edge of the lake and he's fishing with his young son. I am in no hurry to leave and I rig a wacky senko and start fishing a couple casts out from the spot where that are. In an hour's time I catch over 30 fish. At the end of the run I start to wish for one big fish so the kid could see it. I get backlash on my baitcaster and while I'm picking it out a bass close to 6 eats the senko. It was almost like I called it. The guy and the kid pack up and go and I call it a day.

What I learned that day was even on small lakes bass will school up heavy. That type of flurry has been repeated multiple times on that lake and I have found days similar to that in tournaments on other lakes that most people would argue you don't get schools on.