Livescope purchase

If you were in the market for livescope, which Garmin unit would you purchase along with it?

2. Member
    GPSMAP 1242
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    GPSMAP 1242
    Curious Len ... why the GPSMAP over the Ultra?? (regardless of screen size)

Rickie

4. Member
    Three reasons, in order. Primary one is ActiveCaptain Helm can record video of screen onto phone. If there is a problem you need to document to support, nothing beats a realtime actual record of it. Even if there's not a problem, it makes explaining a question to support a breeze. Email support with the video attached. It's also handy for going back after the fact just to review. Second reason is the knob and buttons units. Generally I prefer touch screen. Yes, I have to clean it every trip. But just for LiveScope, the adjustments using the knob is a first class implementation. IMO quick, logical and better than touch. Last is the SmartMode feature. Favorite combo views can be made and saved with specific settings; range, depth, gain, whatever. When that view is selected it brings the settings with it. The ones I use most are Crappie Search, Crappie Fish, Walleye Search, Walleye Fish. Of course I'll have more than LiveScope in that picture. Then each of those can be paired to one of the quick keys for one touch switching. The quick keys on the echomaps don't offer the saved specific settings to the view.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    Does Russell Marine still have good deal on Garmin LS

If not bbg marine will. Call Brian. He is a sponsor as well.

me I have a gpsmap 922 and it can record somehow but are you fishing or playing? I do wish I had recorded my state record catch as I feel it would be worth thousands to garmin in advertising. There is an elaborate description of how it went down.

so if your not out playing but fishing all day my 9" screen has great resolution and uses less power all day, saving some battery
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    Three reasons, in order. Primary one is ActiveCaptain Helm can record video of screen onto phone. If there is a problem you need to document to support, nothing beats a realtime actual record of it. Even if there's not a problem, it makes explaining a question to support a breeze. Email support with the video attached. It's also handy for going back after the fact just to review. Second reason is the knob and buttons units. Generally I prefer touch screen. Yes, I have to clean it every trip. But just for LiveScope, the adjustments using the knob is a first class implementation. IMO quick, logical and better than touch. Last is the SmartMode feature. Favorite combo views can be made and saved with specific settings; range, depth, gain, whatever. When that view is selected it brings the settings with it. The ones I use most are Crappie Search, Crappie Fish, Walleye Search, Walleye Fish. Of course I'll have more than LiveScope in that picture. Then each of those can be paired to one of the quick keys for one touch switching. The quick keys on the echomaps don't offer the saved specific settings to the view.
    Thanks for that explaination ...

Rickie

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Does Russell Marine still have good deal on Garmin LS
    we are an authorized dealer for garmin and carry them and would love your business.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

GPSMAP 1242
    What is the difference between the 1242 and the 1222 ?

10. Member
    I think the difference in the 1222 vs 1242 is the mapping that comes installed on the unit. The 1222 has only base mapping. That is why the 1222 is less than the 1242.

11. Member
    Right. The 12xx series numbering nomenclature varies with what options you include. Look on Garmin's website and vary the options on mapping and sonar. For those who want it for LiveScope only, mapping and sonar can be left off. If later, you change your mind mapping can be added with a card. To add sonar later means buying another box. Not a huge difference in price on initial purchase 1222 without mapping or sonar $1,899. 1242xsv with mapping and sonar (buttons) 2,199. No way you can add sonar later for $300. Touch screen adds about another $600. IMO bang for the buck for LiveScope starts with 93sv. Considering feature set and screen size, 1242xsv button unit. Others disagree particularly preferring the Ultra units. That's why they offer such variety. Different strokes for different folks. Now that I've used video recording and smartmode I'm hooked on it. Generally I like touch but I can do without it.

Thanks for the info JBass2 & LWINCHESTER2

13. Member
    Bbg marine is where I bought my last ultra. Beat Russell marine.