Wiring help needed

I have a 1999 Javelin Ski & Fish with a 200hp Evinrude Ficht motor (I know a lot of people have had problems with these motors; I've had this boat since 2001 and it's only needed to go to the shop 3 times & one of those was for a factory recall item so I can't complain!).

This started with the boat running fine, but fuel gauge no longer working.

• 1st thing I did was find the fuel level sender & shorted the sender wire (pink) to the ground with the ignition on. No response from the gauge.
    • Since the tank is full, I decided to check resistance between the two posts on the sender (with the pink sender wire disconnected. It read close to 0 ohms which I believe is correct for a full (or very close to it) tank so I decided the problem was with the gauge itself.
    • My boat has a panel that holds all the gauges; the panel screws into the console so I removed the screws to access the fuel gauge.
      • The fuel gauge has 4 wires going to it (Pic of the gauge attached)
        • S = Pink sender wire
        • GND = Black ground wire
        • T = Purple wire - not sure; assume it's gauge power as it daisey chains between the gauges
        • Spade connector = blue - not sure; assume it's nav lights power but not sure. It daisey chains to each gauge and if I disconnect it the gauge light goes out so it's either nav light power or ground. Didn't check it.

• I disconnected the fuel gauge so I could take it inside the house to research it (there's a sticker on it with a part number).

While disconnecting the gauge, I may have shorted the purple (T) wire and the black (GND) wire. Not sure if it shorted or if I heard the ring connector sliding over one of the threads. But, I was concerned I might have popped a fuse so tested everything on the console -- everything works (nav lights, anchor light, bilge, aerator, & horn)...

But, now the motor won't start -- I get nothing when I turn the key. Normally the self test indicator lights in the tach would come on and then go off one by one, I'd hear the fuel pump running (or something I've always assumed was the fuel pump) & there'd be an audible tone. Now I get nothing.

I've double checked:

• Throttle is in neutral
    • No blown fuses that I can find (but my fuse panel doesn't have one labeled for Ignition so not sure where ignition fuse is). In addition to the fuses in the fuse block, there are two inline fuses (both good; look to be radio & my fish finder) and I found a 10a mini fuse on one of the positive leads at the battery - also still good.

I've also attached a picture of my ignition switch. I have no diagram for it; can anyone tell me which wires are what so I can test to see if the switch is getting power
    (I did test for voltage between the red wire at the switch and ground on the fuse block & didn't get power there which seems odd to me but without any diagrams, I'm not really sure if that's normal?)

This has to be a fuse or connection that got pulled loose moving the gauge panel or possible something that shorted. Any suggestions on sequence to test for power/continuity?

Appreciate any help anyone can offer!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Check for a fuse under the motor cowling.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Thanks CatFan - Good suggestion; I'll have to look in the morning.

I'd still like to know what each of the wires on the ignition switch are; I'm assuming they are pretty standard (at least across OMC brands)?

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Ask the experts in the Evinrude/Johnson forum http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4 or find a service manual for your motor.
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Actually, @CatFan, you pegged it. I just went outside & pulled the cowl off the motor. There's a fuse panel on the motor with 7 10a fuses & a few relays. 6 fuses are colocated; one is by itself between a couple of the relays; that one (which I assume is a main) was blown. I replace it & life is good again :).

Thanks for the suggestion!

6. Member
    Great
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    A lot of times there's a spare fuse right there stored from factory

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rficalors View Post
    Actually, @CatFan, you pegged it. I just went outside & pulled the cowl off the motor. There's a fuse panel on the motor with 7 10a fuses & a few relays. 6 fuses are colocated; one is by itself between a couple of the relays; that one (which I assume is a main) was blown. I replace it & life is good again :).

Thanks for the suggestion!
    Good work. By the way purple means the ignition is on. Used for everything related to the motor including instruments. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

10. Member
    Thanks Bob. Makes sense. Appreciate the info!