1st Time on Chick

I’ve been saying for years I’m going to Chick to ledge fish in May or June. I finally did it. Went down yesterday. I’d like to give a summary and then ask for advice as I’m planning an overnight trip for later this month. I greatly appreciate taking the time to read and offer advice for anyone who decides to do so.

I launched at Wolftever early morning. I was determined to find offshore fish so I spent a lot of time idling/scanning. I scanned what I had picked out on my nav maps - several places, Wolftever to Deep Creek (mostly main channel ledges, with a few secondary places). I thought I found fish on 3 or 4 places. But I didn’t catch anything until late in the day, when I caught 3 on one hump. A couple of 3 lbers and a 5.5. I was frustrated, but also gave me enough of a taste to want more. So I’m planning a trip with a couple of buddies for later this month. Planning to stay either 1 or 2 nights.

A few things to note: 1st, I’m from Knoxville and have been lake fishing for 15 years or so. With my own boat for 9 years. I’m not a great overall angler but I’m very good in May and June, offshore, especially on Douglas. As some of you may know, Douglas is a great offshore fishery but it fishes VERY small. Everything is a community hole and usually by 2nd week of June the offshore deal is pretty much done. Either the fish are gone from the usual humps and points or they’re not biting (mostly the former). Anyway, I say all that to say: I consider myself pretty good at that type of fish and I’m really wanting to take advantage of this on Chickamauga, especially now that Douglas has become too difficult to fish this way.

2nd, and this is important to telling the story of yesterday, I was absolutely floored at how crowded Chick was on a Thursday. Maybe I’m naive, but Chickamauga is a very big lake, especially compared to what I’m used to. I couldn’t idle most of the stuff I wanted to. And I tried to take note of ledges people were fishing early in the day in attempt to hit them later in the day. But 9 times out of 10, those places ALWAYS had a boat on them. One of them, near the mouth of Wolftever, I saw a boat leave in the late afternoon. I quickly pulled my trolling motor up and headed over, only to get beat by another boat ��. Also, I’m guessing the ledges in front of the nuclear plant are the most popular community hole in the lake? I’m guessing you better get out there around 4:00 AM and sit all day if you want to fish it? There were 4-5 boats there each time I went by there yesterday.

Seeking advice section of this post: I realize there are community holes that will hold large schools of fish. But can I expect to find fish on the ledges in MANY different places throughout the lake? Or is that a complete waste of time?

Next: we’re looking at June 21-23. Can we expect plenty of good ledge fishing still by then? That’s not too late is it?

3rd: is that lake always so crowded during the week? I mean it was crazy how many boats were out there yesterday. And I’m just referring to offshore bass fishermen.

Finally: if anyone wants to offer any specific advice they don’t want to give here, please feel free to PM. If anyone would appreciate advice on Douglas in exchange, I would be happy to help! Thanks!

2. Member
    I was out yesterday until around 1 pm. If you think the nuclear plant was crowded, wait until the weather is good. With the morning rains, cloudy skies, and the southerly wind a lot of people were fishing the shallower water. Many times during the summer there will be 15 -20 boats around the nuclear plant, Not all are bass fishing it is a popular area for cat fishermen. It can be an adventure navigating through all of the boats at times. The two locations that you mentioned will have a lot of boat traffic pretty much all of the time. Just try and find a spot that you like and be prepared for others to share it with you. I had a guy come within casting distance yesterday to GPS my spot.

Weekends are a real pain now, with COVID-19 it seems many more people are using the lake. The Chester Frost Park ramp has been closed the last two weekends due to parking spaces not being available.

Ledge fishing yesterday was affected by the winds, it was blowing against the current most of the time I was out. It will be better when the wind is blowing lightly with the current. The places I stopped the boat was being blown up river against the current and the fishing suffered.

The ledge bite will get better over the next few weeks, Late June is not too late for ledge fishing. A lot of people will be catching fish off the ledges until the fall. They do become more skittish, but they are there until the water cools. You will also see more of the local fishermen start to fish at night.

3. Member
    It’s usually not as bad during the week but Covid has made it worse. My son and I went down Monday of last week. We got to Wolftever early and were able to scan/fish most of the offshore places we wanted to. We didn’t catch them good offshore even though we could find them. My feeling was they were just starting to move out on to the main river stuff. Chick had always been feast or famine for me. Some days good. Some days zero.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info guys

5. Member
    I just discovered yesterday that there is a giant FLW tournament out there Tuesday - Thursday. We’re going to be down there Sunday through Tuesday. We’ve all taken off work and have been really looking forward to this. This news of the FLW is so deflating. Obviously Tuesday is out of the question for us fishing. But what about Sunday and Monday? The pros will be doing a lot of scanning but probably not a lot of fishing right? At least referring to ledge fishing. You think we’ll be okay to fish Sunday and Monday? Keeping in mind, all we are going down there for is ledge fishing. We will be doing zero shallow fishing.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by got eem View Post
    I just discovered yesterday that there is a giant FLW tournament out there Tuesday - Thursday. We’re going to be down there Sunday through Tuesday. We’ve all taken off work and have been really looking forward to this. This news of the FLW is so deflating. Obviously Tuesday is out of the question for us fishing. But what about Sunday and Monday? The pros will be doing a lot of scanning but probably not a lot of fishing right? At least referring to ledge fishing. You think we’ll be okay to fish Sunday and Monday? Keeping in mind, all we are going down there for is ledge fishing. We will be doing zero shallow fishing.
    Dont let the FLW tourney keep you from enjoying the water. They will all be riding around putting little x’s on their graphs but I wouldn’t let them stop me from going.

7. Member
    Cant catch them from the couch.. get out there and don't let the other boats get you in a tailspin. Keep that mental edge!