250XS 2006 plug electrode damage from piston??

J gap is being pushed into electrode by piston is my only guess?piks to follow.crazyest thing I ever saw..this has happened a few times noe..replace plugs and motor runs great for a shorttime then dropsa cylinder.SER 1E001341.thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stoker2001; 06-07-2020 at 06:02 PM.

Was #4 loose when you removed it. If it was loose it will cause the center electrode to burn off in that manner due to the plug not cooling properly
    Regaring #6, when it was replaced were the lower cowls removed? That looks like the ground was bent during instalation not from piston contact
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Was #4 loose when you removed it. If it was loose it will cause the center electrode to burn off in that manner due to the plug not cooling properly
    Regaring #6, when it was replaced were the lower cowls removed? That looks like the ground was bent during instalation not from piston contact
    thanks,this is a friends boat 30' center counsel with twins.he did mention that he installed plugs with lower cowls on.i will try to help on next goround and chase threads,he is a little mechanically challenged...we are almost neighbors,i live in Folsom,you ever see ths boat?
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    What is the plug brand and number?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    What is the plug brand and number?
    NgK IZFR6J

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

If this is repeating- I would be inspecting the cylinders for debris or excessive carbon buildup. The piston and the spark plug do not occupy the same space (naturally)- so if there is impact occurring, something is there that is not intended to be (or there is a mechanical failure).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

If this is repeating- I would be inspecting the cylinders for debris or excessive carbon buildup. The piston and the spark plug do not occupy the same space (naturally)- so if there is impact occurring, something is there that is not intended to be (or there is a mechanical failure).
    GOTCHA,added Ser# and thanks

8. Member
    worked on boat today,had to chase stripped sparkplug threads..plugs properly installed with lower cowl halves removed.boat is running good now,thanks for comments

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hopefully no metal fragments made their way into the cylinder and/or Direct injector.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor