Thread: Jerkbaits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jerkbaits

Please tell me what jerkbaits you like and how you work them. Most of my luck with them has been when I hit 'em on the head and got an instant reaction strike.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

2. Member
    Megabass Vision and Lucky Craft pointers. Can work in any water but clear water is better. With jerkbaits, it's not about the go, it's a'bout the stop. Warm water jerk pause, cold water pull and pause a long time.

3. Member
    Best ones for me last fall and this (early) spring have been the Berkley Skinny Cutter +1 SP 110 and the Yozuri Duel Hardcore SP 90. Rapala ShadowRap and LC have got some, when the others weren't working. JB bite really faded for me, once the temp hit the 50s. Clear water here.

Smithwick Pro Rogue here, on 10lb mono.

5. Member
    I am pretty much using lucky craft pointers exclusively, they just flat out produce for me. I use primarily the 78 and 100 sizes in the sp and dd. I agree the pause is the most important part of the retrieve. colder the water, longer the pause. Warmer the water, shorter the pause. I'm not a real big cadence guy, usually jerk, pause, jerk, jerk, pause and so on. Most bites occur on the pause or the first jerk after the pause for me. Get some ms american shad, ghost shad, chartreuse shad, and aurora gold and they cover pretty much everything as far as water color goes.

6. Member
    Do not overlook the academy 110 knockoffs....I have found a color or two that TRULY catch. I fish mainly smallmouth and it is the first I tie on...not worried about losing them and they are catchers. I fish them with a spinning rod and CRACK it to the beat of whatever song is in my head. learn the PAUSE that they want for the day and CRACK it Post spawn. I fish it all season.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

7. Member
    My go to is the KVD Jerk in bone. Very erratic, suspends well out of the box, and catches bass all year long for me. Like another said, the pause is key. I honestly believe any jerkbait that has even decent action will catch fish.

8. Member
    #8 X-rap when I pound river banks. #10 for open water.
    Dynamic Lures J-Spec is a greatjerk bait also...fits in between the x-rap 8-10 size wise.
    Great luck with the KVD also.

I've been throwing jerkbaits a lot (spinning rod) since late March and my wrist is paying the price! (yeah...don't go there. )

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    #8 X-rap when I pound river banks. #10 for open water.
    Dynamic Lures J-Spec is a greatjerk bait also...fits in between the x-rap 8-10 size wise.
    Great luck with the KVD also.

I've been throwing jerkbaits a lot (spinning rod) since late March and my wrist is paying the price! (yeah...don't go there. )
    Have you tried switching hands? I moved the spinning reel handle to the opposite side of normal for me which is my dominant hand and had to get used to it but now...even when I am cracking it for a long period I am not fatigued. You will have to get accustomed to fighting the fish with your opposite hand/arm but it will get more comfortable after a bunch of fish. DEFINITELY worth the switch for me.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

10. Member
    Berkley cutters, Spro mcsticks and KDS 110 ko's for winter. Jerk jerk pause. Soft jerks and long pauses, sometimes up to a minute just letting it suspend. Fish are lethargic and really look it over before they commit. Fish main lake points in winter.
    Rapala x-rap #10 in summer. Sometimes you can't fish it fast enough. I love fishing it around docks and fresh cool water running into the lake. Make the bait erratic as possible! Most ppl put the jerkbait down when the water warms and they're missing out. Shhh don't tell lol
    1998 Champion 203
    1998 Mercury 225
    Minn Kota Ultrex, 10" Helix MSI+ G4N, 10" Helix MDI+ G4N
    "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1

11. Member
    Staysee 90, and more recently, vision 110 +2. Deep clear water, bluff walls, targeting irregularities in rock. I don’t rip- more a hard sweep, then point rod tip towards bait to make sure slack stays in line and bait stands still. How long I wait by cover depends on the water temp.

Three days at Banks Lake last week. Bought three jerkbaits at Coulee Playland, LC, SK and Rapala. Tried the SK first and found it to be a pretty nice bait with good hooks...VMC, I think. I'm not convinced that the rattles are a plus in our typically clear water, tho.

My jerkbaits ordered from both TW and BPS finally arrived while I was gone or after I returned, so now I need to buy a 3700 box for them!

At the last minute, I had put in a Falcon Bucoo 6'6" MH that I hadn't found a good use for...now, it's got a job. But I may have to buy another reel! Yay! Also may end up changing out the 10 lb FC for P-Line CXX.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Best thing I ever did for my jerkbait success was to watch a video where KVD talks about how he works a jerkbait. What it looks like he's doing (and other pros, for that matter) is very different from what he's actually doing. The main thing is that a huge portion of the big rip that it looks like he's doing is taking up slack. Just like a top water walking bait or walking a frog, the key to getting a jerkbait to dart erratically is slack in the line.

I'd also watch using CXX on a jerkbait. Not all lb tests are created equal, and that stuff is maybe as egregious as it gets. Just as an example, if you were to use the same lb test rating in CXX as you're using in fluoro (and not knowing what fluoro you use), 10 lb CXX is the same diameter as 18 lb Sunline Sniper. Some fluoros are bad about this too. Berkley 100% is one example. The action you're going to get and depth you'll be able to achieve is going to be garbage with really thick line like that.

I generally throw 10-12 lb Sniper. You'd need to step down to 6 lb CXX for a similar diameter.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I use Vision 110s and KVD 200 series. I had the best morning of my fishing life on a 110, it was magical! I use 10-12lb CXX or 12lb Big Game depending on which rod I’m using. I have a 6’6 and a 6’9 rod that I switch between.

In Florida I use a jerkbait year round, but early summer(the last 8 weeks or so), is the least effective for me.

A 200 series KVD is a great follow up lure for fish that miss a topwater, for schooling fish, or when a small front comes through and I need that pure reaction bite.

For me the jerkbait has become a great year round lure that I used to use very sporadically. I went fishing with a member here and watching him one day just made something click for me. Since that day I started using them more and really learning the reason why it was working when it did.

I became a much better fisherman when I started utilizing a jerkbait more.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

15. Member
    Don't forget the old school Bomber Long "A"
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

So many jerk baits out there now. IMA flit is a good one too, use the walk-the-dog technique and you can really impart some good action to it. Jackall Rerange is another I like, it casts really well.

17. Member
    Jerkbaits are amazing baits but casting them into wind is a pain in the ass with casting gear. If I had to pick one jerkbait, it would be a jackall rerange. Casts great and you can rip that thing without "blowing" it out. Also they have some very good colors (a special one too that I love). Once the water gets colder (under 50), I will switch to a MB 110 but the things don't cast real well with any kind of wind. Will switch to spinning gear.

Ok, so I got a bunch of jerkbaits. Now, I need a storage box to carry them in. I'm happiest with Plano and their Waterproof boxes with the O-ring around the rim and real good latches on 3 sides. The reasoning is as much preventing warped lids...have LOTS of 3600 sized boxes of various brands that have warped lids...they suck! And, I really don't like the movable, replaceable, do it yourself dividers, because they're always falling out and provide no rigidity to the box.

Could somebody please give me the P/N for such a box that will fit bunches of jerkbaits? I figure the right box will hold at least a dozen. My jerkbaits are generally 4"-4.5" long. It looks like something I'm going to have to order online, because I could drive 50 miles and arrive to not the right box. That would make the return 50 miles less than enjoyable.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberOne View Post
    Jerkbaits are amazing baits but casting them into wind is a pain in the ass with casting gear. If I had to pick one jerkbait, it would be a jackall rerange. Casts great and you can rip that thing without "blowing" it out. Also they have some very good colors (a special one too that I love). Once the water gets colder (under 50), I will switch to a MB 110 but the things don't cast real well with any kind of wind. Will switch to spinning gear.
    Try the Megabass Vision Ito Shiner. about the same size as the 110, but while both are listed at 0.5 oz, the 110 is .46 oz and the shiner .54 oz. Makes a big difference casting.

You guys...I was trying not to mention the Rerange. Last time it came up on BBC Tackle Warehouse sold out and it took months to recover!

To be fair, it came up on BBC because the Tactical Bassin' guys mentioned it, but still...
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast