Re coating top cap of an old boat

I have an 86 Hydra-Sports VS150T that needs the top cap recoated.
    I have wet sanded and buffed it twice in the last 10 years and there is not enough left
    to do it again. I am debating on to paint it or go with gel coat. I have the equipment and experience to
    to paint it with automotive 2 and 3 stage paint. It just seems to me that it would get damaged easily.
    Does anyone have a boat that has been painted that can give there experience with it.I would like to use
    gel coat with metal flake in it but, I am not familiar with the process or which product to use.

Me personally I’d go the gel route....not a fan of the automotive route.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    Yea if it was a custom speed boat or something like that I feel like it would be OK but,most of the time when I go out I end up in a bush or tree getting my lure unstuck. I just need to learn the process for gel coat and which products to buy.

4. Member
    This is a picture from 10 years ago after wet sanding and buffing ,new carpet,painted motor and repaired everything. The blue was already faded as you can see from where the decal was. I think I am going to gel coat the top cap it but, It has an odd color scheme. Should I go back with the metal flake blue or a different color while I have the opportunity?
    I am OK with the color it is,I would just like some other opinions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is do it the same...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

The sides of the hull on my boat had stripes spray painted on it when I got it. I stripped them off down to the gel coat and since I also have some experience with shooting urethane but not gel coat, went with a single stage 2k black urethane. The bottom of my hull is factory black gel coat, and the top cap is gel coat also. This gives me a good test bed to see what is better. Gel is, obviously. The 2k urethane looks great, has a high gloss, and is easy to take care of. I used black sealer, over black gel coat, and have black topcoat (no clear coat). When I get a scratch, there is nothing but black to show through, but the paint does get scratched more easily than the gel does. Its easier to fix the paint when it gets scratched than the gel. So there you have it. Paint is easier to apply, looks great, and is easy to fix when you get a scratch. Gel is durable, less likely to scratch when it gets dinged, but is more difficult to care for and to fix when damaged.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI