Need some rod shipping help

Pro rod shippers. It was a decade in-between shipping rods. Now, I have ordered many since. Anyway, I will be selling a lot of high end rods but need help. Went to USPS with two rods in a 97 X 4 rod tube and had to pay a fee totaling 140. Went to UPS with same tube 220 bucks. Tacking number and insured. I went on the USPS site and it says 108 inches including length and circumference. IMO that would mean my tube can be 96 X 4? I went back to USPS after a 122 overcharge to get some clarification but no dice. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. Member
    Yup, it's pretty much impossible to cheaply ship a rod. I asked the guy at tackle warehouse how they are able to ship rods so cheap and he said you have to ship am ungodly amount for the carriers to give you that rate. Way more than any regular Joe would ship

3. Member
    Is the rod 8'? If not cut the tube down. i have never spent more than $25 to ship a rod. I normally use USPS and get the cheapest option available.

4. Member
    You have to get below 96" for any price break and then it is at least $45-$50 per tube. Fedex is my current shipper of choice with UPS second. USPS has gotten too expensive.