Soft box lids restoration. Almost done

Recently purchased a 205 520vx. All but 1 lid was soft, so instead of buying new lids I took the suggestions found on this forum and started in on repairing mine. I drilled holes in the underside in a grid pattern and then injected 2 part epoxy filling the void between the 2 pieces of fiberglass. They’ve been like this for a couple months and are solid as a rock but I was tired of looking at the epoxy overflow. Found that with a small chisel and a rubber mallet the pieces pop off with extreme ease. Hit em with a orbital sander and I’m almost done. My question now is what kind of paint or liner would be best to paint the underside of these lids and make them look new again?
    Attached Images Attached Images

How much weight do u think it added to each lid?
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

Looks like a good idea !!
    Last edited by wmitch2; 11-28-2021 at 02:51 PM.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    i think if you fill in the hole or cover the hole with marine tex white of course and you may not even need to paint it or sand it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RK1 View Post
    Recently purchased a 205 520vx. All but 1 lid was soft, so instead of buying new lids I took the suggestions found on this forum and started in on repairing mine. I drilled holes in the underside in a grid pattern and then injected 2 part epoxy filling the void between the 2 pieces of fiberglass. They’ve been like this for a couple months and are solid as a rock but I was tired of looking at the epoxy overflow. Found that with a small chisel and a rubber mallet the pieces pop off with extreme ease. Hit em with a orbital sander and I’m almost done. My question now is what kind of paint or liner would be best to paint the underside of these lids and make them look new again?
    How/what do you use to "inject" the epoxy into those small holes? And is it still holding up so far? Thanks.

6. Member
    Get some 3M carbon fiber pattern automotive film wrap. The texture of the carbon fiber does a good job of hiding any small bumps or low spots. Large bumps will be noticeable but it’s pretty forgiving stuff.

7. Member
    Looks like i may have to try this. I have all my lids on the back deck that are soft. Thanks for posting this.

8. Member
    I did my Ranger lids with epoxy also. I drilled holes large enuff to thread a 1/2” x 6” tall pvc pipe into.put a hole near each corner and one in the middle and dug out some of the foam at the bottom. Then filled the 6” pipes with epoxy and used air pressure to push the epoxy in. Like 5 lb of pressure, also used a shop vacuum on the center hole to help pull the epoxy in.
    You will know when lid is full when you start to push epoxy up the other pipes
    The lids are like rocks. You need to use your imagination on hole location to get epoxy injected evenly. Sand flat when hard. You can paint or stickers work great

9. Member
    Mabey some foam glued up like the new bass boats so you can hang your hooks into the foam?