Thread: Ned Rig Help

Ned Rig Help

I've been fishing a shaky head and drop shot for years. I've also been messing around with the Neko rig the last year or so. While fishing them I just kinda hop/shake the bait back in. I'm starting to fish the Ned rig a little and want to know how you guys are fishing it. Is it a dead drag back to the boat or are you fishing it like the Shaky/drop shot/ neko with action. I've been using Strike King heads in 1/16 or 1/8 ounce with the Strike king rage bait or Z Man TRD baits. Just looking for what's been working for you guys. Trying to gain a little confidence in the Ned rig.

2. Dogfish_Jones
    I drag mine, then if I get hung up, I pop it up. It seems that most of my bits come after I drag it an allow it to sit for a few seconds. I get that double tap...tap.

The Ned rig is a do nothing bait, so do nothing.

4. Moderator
    Drag it, swim it , dead stick it... whatever works.

5. Member
    Cast it out and drag it back with a few hops. On Oneida I’ve had the best luck with a straight retrieve like a swimbait for some reason. Also if I’m in deeper water I “swing” it back to the boat with a few hops. One thing is for sure I haven’t found a retrieve yet that doesn’t work
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    One thing is for sure I haven’t found a retrieve yet that doesn’t work

Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    Drag it, swim it , dead stick it... whatever works.
    Yep, sometimes you have to figure it out. My own personal experience with Ned fishing is that a cut in half Zinker is the best bait, especially salty ones that you can stretch out, doing that leaves little air pockets in the bait and once wet it turns into something resembling stretchy foam, it floats up and has subtle action even when you think you are 'doing nothing'. I would not use a head with a hook bigger than a #1 either.

I can't remember ever having to worry about any retrieval, meaning that it usually gets bit too quickly to do much.

So far, I've been using the Roboworm Ned baits on mostly Owner's "Block heads". The latter really aren't promoted as Ned heads, but they work perfectly and of course the hooks are killer sharp.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

I've been using old school Gopher mushroom heads and 1/2 a O' baits stick bait, soak it, drag it, shake it, swim it. All retrieval methods have produced, let the fish tell you works for a given day.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Yep, sometimes you have to figure it out. My own personal experience with Ned fishing is that a cut in half Zinker is the best bait, especially salty ones that you can stretch out, doing that leaves little air pockets in the bait and once wet it turns into something resembling stretchy foam, it floats up and has subtle action even when you think you are 'doing nothing'. I would not use a head with a hook bigger than a #1 either.

Agree with Quill that you should stick with smaller hook. I have also had the best luck with the ZMan elaztec material as it seems more buoyant.

11. Member
    I think that the Zinkers and Bang Stickz are the most cost effective way to go with Ned and Neko fishing. I cut them down for Ned and use them whole for Neko. Also with the elaztec material you don't need an Oring for a Neko rig, just skin hook the Zinker or Bang Stick. I lose fewer doing this than when I use an Oring.

I've caught Ned fish with everything from a dead stick to shaking to a swimming retrieve. I've also had times when almost every hit came on the fall.

12. Member
    Agreed with above, beaten up 1/2 ZinkerZ is the best for Ned Rig. I fish the same as everybody else, shake and drag, small hop, dead sticking but if too much snag I just swim it slow and let is hit bottom every once awhile.

13. Member
    I been using the Zman bites , Think i has been using to stuff of a rod do. Got me 2 Ugly stik Elite spinnings rod this winter in a med and med light ,

14. Member
    Try the TRD Craw and TRD Bugz, it’s impossible for either one to stay still.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak