recessed trolling motor tray in an R83VS...will it work?

Can anyone tell me whether I'd have problems installing one of the Comfortroll D-Lux trolling motor trays in my 2000 R83VS? The D-Lux tray is roughly 20" X 12", which is about 2 inches longer and 2 inches wider than a standard tray. I have heard that some of the older boats don't accommodate a recessed tray very easily and since this one is bigger than normal, I'd like to know before I buy it and start cutting my deck.

2. Member
    I had a 2000 R93 and in order to get a recessed tray installed my dealer said they would have to cut into the center compartment because it went so far forward in the bow. He said he would do it if I didn't mind it leaking. I declined. Another option would be to glass it in but that could be pricey.

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, that is what I was afraid of. I have noticed that the center compartment does go up quite a ways in the bow (doesn't make a lot of sense to me since it's also angled and makes storing much of anything up that far a pain to get out). I guess I'll just live with it the way it is. Thanks again!

4. Member
    I installed the tray in my R81VS. I would 100 times over sacrifice a a little leaking in favor of having a recessed tray. I have never really noticed much leaking but I usually stay on the couch if it's raining.

5. Member
    Yeah, I still get out and go when it's raining. Just not sure I want to deal with any leaking issues, so I think I'll just bypass doing that for now. If my legs or back start giving me problems in the future, then I might go ahead and do it.

6. Member
    I have a tray in my R83. Dad installed it years ago when he had the boat. It’s a very nice item to have. I did have some leaking but since I did my carpet job I haven’t had an issue, but I also haven’t been in much rain with it since carpet too. When I had the tray out, I made a silicone gasket and put silicone under the lip of the tray. Where the hole is on the tray, I made sure to attach a hose long enough to go well into the hull. I think I have been getting most of the water in my center storage area from my pedestal seat hole. I put in a deck plug with oring when not using the seat.