250 Verado Question

Looking at a used 250 Verado and was wondering what is the life expectancy (hours) of that motor if well maintained? I understand there are many thing that can cause damage, but if you run a motor like a normal person would and not like a 18 year old with no fear what should on last?

2. Banned
    I have 700 hrs and the YouTube Merc guy I watch on YouTube just serviced one with 4k hours.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Extremely durable engines- not uncommon to see them with 4000, 5000, 6000 hours on them.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Sorry Don, thanks for the information. I know it is a good motor, but really never knew how long they keep them. I have a 2005 250 XS and it has 401 hours on it and like to get something fresh. Not that it has a ton of hours on it, just expensive when they blow up. LOLThanks again