196 fuel sending unit

Anyone had to replace the sending unit on a 2003 196? Would like to have some sort of idea what I’m up against before I tear into it. I have already grounded the pink wire on my gauge and it moves to full so I believe I’m down to the sending unit being bad.

2. TJNYSNP
    i replaced mine on my 2000 203 years back... easy change out and they are commonly found. Wait for the other 196 owners to help you with the brand and model number if it is no etched into yours.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Moeller-S...RoCLVsQAvD_BwE

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Here is the troubleshooting for the sending unit. https://www.v3electronicsusa.com/wp-...uel-Sender.pdf It could always be a pinched wire between the tang and gauge.

4. Member
    If you have to replace your sending unit, checkout the WEMA gauges.
    Bruce Theriot
    2003 Champion 196 Elite
    200 Mercury Opti max
    25 Tempest A45

5. Member
    How difficult is it to get the seat pan out of it to even get to the tank?

6. Member
    I also have an 03 196 which I just replaced the sender in this spring. Wasn't getting an accurate indication of fuel level. Changed the gauge and had the same issue. The good news is you don't need to remove the very large aluminum seat base. The bad news is (if you haven't already replaced the carpet and intend to), there is an aluminum plate under the carpet on the rear deck for access to the sender. You will need to remove the carpet to see this plate. It is approximately 5X7 and pretty well centered between the seats. I will check to see if I still have any pics.

The original sender in mine was 15 inches, but I discovered a 16 inch goes all the way to the bottom.
    Rick Brown
    2003 Champion 196 DC
    2003 Evinrude 200 Ficht
    2018 Ram 1500 Hemi
    P/B 9.74 Lake Ray Roberts

7. Member
    Thank you sir I will tap around on the frack and see if I can find a sound difference and locate the plate.

8. Member
    Here is a pic of the removed plate. Unfortunately, I had already had the carpet replaced so I had to re-carpet the back deck. I'm not sure if the factory used any other methods to access the sender or not, but the sender is bolted to the top of the tank and the only way to get it out was through this hole. FWI, I replaced with the same brand which is a long (16") s/s tube with a float around it.
    IMG_0046.jpg
    Last edited by vvrick; 06-07-2020 at 08:27 PM.
    Rick Brown
    2003 Champion 196 DC
    2003 Evinrude 200 Ficht
    2018 Ram 1500 Hemi
    P/B 9.74 Lake Ray Roberts

9. Member
    Thanks again gentleman I do appreciate all the knowledge and help from this forum.