Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Leaving Charger Plugged In

I always thought you were supposed to keep your on board charger plugged in and allow its float feature to keep batteries ready? My buddy says to unplug after charged and plug in day before you go fishing? Any experts that can comment. My current 2006 dual pro has quit on me. Looking at a minn Kota 330 digital.

2. Member
    By no means an expert, but I always unplug after batteries are fully charged and top off the day before a fishing trip.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

I had a pro-mariner charger cook my batteries after leaving it plugged-in for a couple of months through the winter. The trickle charge produces heat, which hastens evaporation of the water in the battery. A good charger, and checking battery water levels frequently should help. I use the Battery Minder brand of battery chargers now and have not had any issues with leaving the batteries plugged in. I use a conventional charger with a timer to top off the trolling batteries and then switch to the Battery Minder to maintain the charge. I also use quick disconnects on all the batteries and chargers so its a snap to plug in.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

I always unplug it after they are charged. I have saw a story or two of an onboard charger starting a fire and it makes me nervous to leave it plugged in.
    Team Enigma Fishing

5. #FRB
    24/7 with my MinnKota PC
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by twise7 View Post
    By no means an expert, but I always unplug after batteries are fully charged and top off the day before a fishing trip.
    this is how I do it also there have been times it was left plugged in overnight because they were not done before bedtime but never any longer than that

7. Member
    I never leave mine plugged in continuously, anything electrical can malfunction. I was a Firefighter for 23 years, I've seen about everthing, so not leaving it plugged in is one less worry for me.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchhand02 View Post
    I always unplug it after they are charged. I have saw a story or two of an onboard charger starting a fire and it makes me nervous to leave it plugged in.
    When I was younger a guy in my hometown built a nice new home and had a pretty new Ranger in the garage, I belive he lived there less than a year before the house burned from the boats battery charger. Needless to say his second house had a detached garage.

9. Member
    Same here.

I leave mine plugged in 90% of the time, the other time I'm on the water or there's thunderstorms happening
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

11. Member
    I got one boat with 3 batteries I leave plugged in 24/7 with a Minn Kota 315 PC. Have for years.
    The ARIES I charge and unplug. I don't like the way the cover pushes on the cord. It has a old Minn Kota 345 D, and a Stealth 1 DC charger.

I've always left mine plugged in unless I was on the water. Never had a problem but I keep it plugged into a GFI receptacle just in case.

13. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Same as most; will leave plugged for a few days after fishing, unplug a and then plug back a few days prior to heading back out.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

14. Member
    Always unplug mine when they are done charging. If not charged by the time I go to bed, First thing in the morning unplug, take battery readings And leave them alone until I’ve used them again. I pretty much go every Weekend. I do fire restoration of furniture and I’ve seen a lot of crap burn up.

If I left mine plugged in, I would be driving to the lake with an extension cord in tow and possibly an outlet and some vinyl trim.

16. Member
    I have always unplugged mine when they were charged. Maybe leave on overnight. On a side note, you’re also supposed to be able to leave cordless tool batteries plugged in on the charger with the trickle charge feature without harming batteries. Don’t do that either, I learned this after killing some fairly new batteries. Charge and remove when done.

17. Member

same here been working well for 20 plus yrs now
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

18. Member
    My last boat I left it plugged in for a whole year I didn't use the boat , nothing bad happened everything worked as it should.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

19. Member
    I leave mine plugged in all the time. Just curious as to what charger manufacturers recommend?

For years I left mine plugged in 24/7 with no issue. Since I have my new garage, I’ve been plugging it in for a couple days then unplug. I’ll go out and plug it in for a day maybe every week or two. Had MK’s for years (still have two) but a Dual Pro Professional 4 bank is what’s in my boat now and has been for 5 years.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast