Triton to Skeeter

I'm highly considering selling my Triton, or trading it in for a Skeeter. Mainly looking at the ZX225 as I'm partial to 19-20' sized models. I'd like to buy a new one but with my situation it makes more sense to find a good deal on a used one in the 2015 and newer models. I'm not extremely fond of the new team deck layout, but not totally against it if the price is right.

I'm on my 3rd Triton and I've had them from 18' to 21'. Anyone that's gone from Triton to Skeeter please feel free to give me any reviews.

What can I expect as far as ride, speed, handling, etc. in the ZX225? Also, I've always had Mercury 2 strokes, so the SHO will definitely be a different feel for me as well. How prevalent is the "making oil" issues with the mid-late teen models? What can I expect with the SHO vs. the ProXS other than the obvious 4 stroke to 2 stroke?

I like my current Triton, but the overall quality of the boat has been somewhat disappointing, and I've been having minor motor issues for awhile now that's starting to get old. The rumors going around about Triton right now has me concerned, and if they are true, I'd like to get out of it while it still has good value. I also like BassCat and Phoenix, but I'm really wanting a 4 stroke motor since they will hold more value later down the road since that seems to be the trend of outboards, and to get a BassCat or Phoenix with a 4 stroke I'd have to be buying something practically brand new and I don't really want to do that right now.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

If you're comparing the new ZX225 to the Triton 19XS hull, I don't think you'll notice any difference in the ride. They are about the same dimensions. You're in Virginia, so it's not like you have to worry about rough water. I used an old 18' Stratos the first 2 years I lived there. I never had a problem getting across the lakes and rivers in an 18' boat, so I knew the ZX225 would be just fine.

The ZX225 is a 70+ mph boat any day of the week. I have a few videos on YouTube where I'm going over 75mph on the James River, and Smith Mt. Lake. I didn't have to "tweak" anything to reach those speeds either. It came from the dealer like that. I got mine from Penhook, VA. James was a pleasure to work with.

I've never had a Merc, but I can say that I never want another 2-stroke. I don't miss the days of worrying about where I'm gonna buy oil, or how much it costs. I just make sure I have gas, and go. Speaking of gas...if I pump exactly 10 gallons in every time I go fishing, I end up with a full tank about the 5th or 6th trip. I'm sure my motor makes some oil, but I haven't had to drain it yet. I also haven't had to add any oil, so there's that.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    If you're comparing the new ZX225 to the Triton 19XS hull, I don't think you'll notice any difference in the ride. They are about the same dimensions. You're in Virginia, so it's not like you have to worry about rough water. I used an old 18' Stratos the first 2 years I lived there. I never had a problem getting across the lakes and rivers in an 18' boat, so I knew the ZX225 would be just fine.

The ZX225 is a 70+ mph boat any day of the week. I have a few videos on YouTube where I'm going over 75mph on the James River, and Smith Mt. Lake. I didn't have to "tweak" anything to reach those speeds either. It came from the dealer like that. I got mine from Penhook, VA. James was a pleasure to work with.

I've never had a Merc, but I can say that I never want another 2-stroke. I don't miss the days of worrying about where I'm gonna buy oil, or how much it costs. I just make sure I have gas, and go. Speaking of gas...if I pump exactly 10 gallons in every time I go fishing, I end up with a full tank about the 5th or 6th trip. I'm sure my motor makes some oil, but I haven't had to drain it yet. I also haven't had to add any oil, so there's that.
    Thanks for the info! Although I will have to say, rough water is somewhat of a factor. I run the Potomac a few times a year and that place can get as rough as anywhere I’ve ever been, including big lakes up north. Buggs Island on a windy day is no cakewalk either. 75 mph in that boat is impressive! Mine will run mid 60s with poles and a heavy load. Speed isn’t the biggest factor to me, but I miss having a 70+ mph boat. My buddy used to have a ZX225 and I really liked it when I drove it. It was very similar to the ride of my current boat, but a little faster and the torque was amazing.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO