Thread: WELDS CRACKING

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WELDS CRACKING

I have an AVX 1980 CC, I saw one post on here about a cracked weld. I personally have had the same issue in the same area as the other gentleman. I picked my boat up from the factory last month and took the boat out 1 time and the weld cracked in the EXACT SAME SPOT!!

Anyone else having issues???

2. Member
    Not yet. Hopefully not a design flaw.

Pics of yours? Did you beach yours also?

3. Member
    the first go around I had hit nothing, there was not a scratch anywhere. The weld cracked longitudinally (with the weld) like his did. Best I can tell from research and being a former welder, it's caused by welding to hot. I really love the boat, but it has proved to be a major headache. I can say that Vexus did fix the boat and due to delays and missed promise dates they went above ad beyond compensating me. But all I really want Is a useable boat.

This time i did hit something close to where the weld cracked, but it cracked in the exact same way and in the exact same spot.

4. Member
    I'm really curious why they wouldn't just replace the hull especially since I read that they replaced someone else's hull due to peeling paint. This makes no sense.

5. Member
    the first go around I had hit nothing, there was not a scratch anywhere. The weld cracked longitudinally (with the weld) like his did. Best I can tell from research and being a former welder, it's caused by welding to hot. I really love the boat, but it has proved to be a major headache. I can say that Vexus did fix the boat and due to delays and missed promise dates they went above ad beyond compensating me. But all I really want Is a useable boat.

This time i did hit something close to where the weld cracked, but it cracked in the exact same way and in the exact same spot.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post

I don't think it is a design flaw, but a welding issue, some of the welds on my boat looked bad as did some on that other fellas boat.

Just a thought on something i noticed about these boats at the boat show i went too. I havnt seen any other boat with the keel like this its very blunt and there is alot of welding compared to other styles out there not knowing how the bracing is tied into this area or whats behind it maybe there isnt enough or its welded together under strain aligning the pieces and some dont hold up. Just thought the keel is very wide on these. This is a pic of a 1980.
    955EDD12-8DA1-426E-983A-70EDE4A950C5.jpeg
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

It is an odd keel.

Hopefully your issue will get resolved OP.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 06-04-2020 at 05:17 AM.

Do you have pics? While some relic in the moment of any Vexus issue, the reality is they are not exempt from defects, just like very other boat manufacturer out there. Super unfortunate that it happened though. Especially with only using it once. It sounds like Vexus stood behind their product the 1st go around, might be an insurance claim this time around. I agree though, if you hit something and it cracked in the exact same spot, I would lean towards the initial repair was questionable and their might be something else going on with the keel, maybe the bracing is stressing the keel in that area Not being a Vexus engineer, only they can advise on that. jjbabin sent you a DM.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

10. Member
    Can you post a pic of where yours was cracked at? I haven't had any issues with mine yet and going on a year and a half. I've had her in some big water too.
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Just a thought on something i noticed about these boats at the boat show i went too. I havnt seen any other boat with the keel like this its very blunt and there is alot of welding compared to other styles out there not knowing how the bracing is tied into this area or whats behind it maybe there isnt enough or its welded together under strain aligning the pieces and some dont hold up. Just thought the keel is very wide on these. This is a pic of a 1980.
    955EDD12-8DA1-426E-983A-70EDE4A950C5.jpeg
    I agree with this logic. Depending on how everything was aligned, when bringing these sections together to make the weld, there will be differences in each hull. Some hulls the sections will come together perfectly and some will require some manipulated forces to bring the sections together when making the welds. I work with a lot of metals but not aluminum, I know aluminum is able to be heat treated but i'm not sure what the process would be to perform stress relief after the welds are made on the hull.

"Repair welding is usually more difficult with heat treatable alloys because of microstructural changes that take place during the original welding. Restraint is usually greater when repair welding, and this may cause cracking in the heat affected zone or in the previously deposited weld metal. Joint strength may also be lower after repairs are made. Here's a link that may also be helpful"
    http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...comistakes.asp

12. Moderator

Wondering why beaching the boat would matter? I the real world boats get beached! Does it say in owners manual not to beach??.
    Vince Dart- Jim Thorpe PA

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dartman View Post
    Wondering why beaching the boat would matter? I the real world boats get beached! Does it say in owners manual not to beach??.
    Reference to the previous cracked hull thread. He beached it because he thought the boat was going to sink.. It looked like he beached the **** out of it because there were deep gouges on the bottom.

Reference to the previous cracked hull thread. He beached it because he thought the boat was going to sink.. It looked like he beached the **** out of it because there were deep gouges on the bottom.

Yea, there was a lot of unknowns on the guy that beached his boat into a bunch of boulders. That story only had one side that is for sure. Haven't heard a peep from the owner since on any of the Vexus pages.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

15. Member

Just looking at that picture it looks like they had cut both sides of the boat, and when the brought them together to weld they saw they were cut short, and decided to cut a strip and weld anyway not wanting to waste all that aluminum. Strange way to build a boat. If that seam goes all the way to the transom, why would you want two welds instead of one, just asking for trouble. I would like to see a pic of the entire bottom. JMO
    Last edited by Crappie Bob; 06-17-2020 at 09:11 AM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post

Just looking at that picture it looks like they had cut both sides of the boat, and when the brought them together to weld they saw they were cut short, and decided to cut a strip and weld anyway not wanting to waste all that aluminum. Strange way to build a boat. If that seem goes all the way to the transom, why would you want two welds instead of one, just asking for trouble. JMO

You can't be serious...
    Last edited by Screamin_Reel; 06-17-2020 at 08:54 AM.

17. Member
    I have a avx1980 and mine cracked on the bend that starts the step on the port side straight down the step fold on the aluminum. Vexus was kind enough to bring it back to the factory for an attempt to fix, after I got the boat back beginning of May the fix cracked on June 8th. My dealer and Vexus are currently handling the situation and I am waiting on a start and completion date of a new boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ksmith3510; 06-17-2020 at 09:24 AM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith3510 View Post
    I have a avx1980 and mine cracked on the bend that starts the step on the port side straight down the step fold on the aluminum. Vexus was kind enough to bring it back to the factory for an attempt to fix, after I got the boat back beginning of May the fix cracked on June 8th. My dealer and Vexus are currently handling the situation and I am waiting on a start and completion date of a new boat.
    2019 or 2020 model?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin_Reel View Post
    You can't be serious...
    I was being a bit facetious, but with the things the way they are these days, everyone cutting corners and the shoddy workmanship from people that just want a check on Friday, who knows.

20. Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast