Solix 10 GPS Question

I took the boat out to the lake yesterday. I had very recently received my Solix back from HB for a software issue.

While out on the water I noticed that I wasn't getting a GPS fix. I've been on this same lake with the same unit previously
    and was always able to get a GPS fix. Sometimes it would take a handful of minutes to get a fix. I checked the satellites and satellite strength
    in the GPS menu and the only satellite that would show was #13 @ 12:00. So after an hour on the water
    with no GPS fix I decide to call HB CS again. They asked the questions they should ask, is it cloudy?, is the unit obstructed?, etc.
    I said no to all and stated that I had been in this location before with the same unit and didn't have a problem previously.
    So they said maybe the GPS chip was bad.

About 15 minutes after habging up with HB CS, I'm rigging my poles at the stern and I here an alarm from my unit. I go to investigate
    and now I've got a GPS fix. I fished the rest of the day and I would lose my GPS fix from time to time.

I retrofitted my Minn Kota Power Drive TM with the bluetooth iPilot upgrade kit and it had no problem with getting a GPS fix.

I also noticed that my track on the unit was erratic, surely due to the GPS issue.

My question for the experts is this. Would an external HB external GPS puck solve this issue? My boat is a windshield boat (NR Seahawk) and
    the unit is above the dash so it's got glass adjacent on two sides.

Was the unit set to first time use factory defaults when it was returned to you? If not, that’s the first thing I would do. If you have another gps antenna or can borrow one, try it.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

3. Member
    HB CS had me restore to the factory default while I was on the phone with them. It didn't make any immediate impact.

I don't have another GPS antenna but I'm not opposed to buying the puck if it will solve it. What's another $$ for a boat, right.
    I am using the internal Solix antenna.

4. Member
    I just ordered the GPS receiver and heading sensor puck. I'll post the results when I am able to field test it.

I expect it to remedy the issue.

5. Member
    If it is your internal GPS get them to fix it while you still have warranty. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    I agree with Bob!
    Have humminbird fix the unit. I know it's fishing time but.
    Maybe they will send you a new unit or get yours right.
    Your GPS should be spot on solid with a Solix.

7. Member
    You both make a good point. I'll send it in to get looked at.

8. Member
    My solix 10 (new) takes about 20 min. to ever get a gps fix. I have a spot I fish about 5 miles from where I put in as soon as I am unloading the boat I cut the unit on wait on my wife to park the truck ,get ready and drive to the spot still no gps fix ,no mph nothing. I can go cut the front unit on & in about 1 min it's ready. The 1st 1 will pick up the gps while I am fishing. (really don't know how long it takes but more than 15-20 min),But it stays working all day.
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tharris811 View Post
    My solix 10 (new) takes about 20 min. to ever get a gps fix. I have a spot I fish about 5 miles from where I put in as soon as I am unloading the boat I cut the unit on wait on my wife to park the truck ,get ready and drive to the spot still no gps fix ,no mph nothing. I can go cut the front unit on & in about 1 min it's ready. The 1st 1 will pick up the gps while I am fishing. (really don't know how long it takes but more than 15-20 min),But it stays working all day.
    Is your front unit a Solix as well?

10. Member
    Well, I sent it back to the mother ship yesterday. Believe me, it knows the way.

11. Member
    I received an e-mail notice letting me know that my Solix is on its return journey home. It said they repaired the circuit board. While I'm not particularly pleased with a repaired unit I'll see how this goes. Anymore issues with it and I'm going to press for a new unit.

12. Member
    UPS delivered the unit today. Got it re-installed then tested the GPS reception. The internal GPS wasn't getting anything but in all fairness the boat is inside a metal building and the Solix sits behind a windshield and side glass plus a radar arch somewhat overhead. I'll know for sure how it works when I get out on the water this coming Monday.
    My new GPS receiver/Heading sensor mounted on the stern gets outstanding reception even inside the building.

Will update after the next fishing trip.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SVG View Post
    I took the boat out to the lake yesterday. I had very recently received my Solix back from HB for a software issue.

While out on the water I noticed that I wasn't getting a GPS fix. I've been on this same lake with the same unit previously
    and was always able to get a GPS fix. Sometimes it would take a handful of minutes to get a fix. I checked the satellites and satellite strength
    in the GPS menu and the only satellite that would show was #13 @ 12:00. So after an hour on the water
    with no GPS fix I decide to call HB CS again. They asked the questions they should ask, is it cloudy?, is the unit obstructed?, etc.
    I said no to all and stated that I had been in this location before with the same unit and didn't have a problem previously.
    So they said maybe the GPS chip was bad.

About 15 minutes after habging up with HB CS, I'm rigging my poles at the stern and I here an alarm from my unit. I go to investigate
    and now I've got a GPS fix. I fished the rest of the day and I would lose my GPS fix from time to time.

I retrofitted my Minn Kota Power Drive TM with the bluetooth iPilot upgrade kit and it had no problem with getting a GPS fix.

I also noticed that my track on the unit was erratic, surely due to the GPS issue.

My question for the experts is this. Would an external HB external GPS puck solve this issue? My boat is a windshield boat (NR Seahawk) and
    the unit is above the dash so it's got glass adjacent on two sides.
    My Solix Gen 1 are using same external puck at stern and the one that it is hooked up to sees satellites and the one networked does not. But the one networked see satellites when internal is selected. I think the 3.64 software has done something with GPS. I've hear a lot of ppls units locking up after some time on water. Had no issues last year. This year I do get gps lost alarm usually flashes one time at the beginning of every start up.

14. Member
    Yes you have heard about power issues,but over the years with different brands of GPS units on my boats. If the power would get down to 12.1 or 12.2 GPS would mess up before anything else. With chronic GPS issues you need to be aware of your voltage. The other thing with GPS is the location of the receiver. The satellites used are from horizon to horizon. If things are blocking you will have less satellites to choose from. That includes your body. An external puck placed away from obstructions will work better than say the console area with windshields,2nd sonar unit and a driver blocking the satellites to the rear. Of course the unit can also be at fault. I worked on electronics a long time,when I hear a fix of "repaired circuit board" my first thought and what gets entered in the service record would mostly be "no fault found" With electronics with intermittent conditions may not show up on tests. The service labs have the proper voltages and other conditions and some things just don't show up during testing. I am telling you this so you do some investigation on your own and get it working, rather than keep sending the thing back in. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

my solix 12 G2 started loosing gps fix after 3.64 as well as the maps doesn't move with the boat running down the lake, and it will switch from hummingbird lake master to base map on its own !!! it kinda starting to piss me off its a month old and worked perfect before the update my other unit which already had 3.64 installed when i bought it a couple weeks ago has worked fine.