Power wire to graph?

I like to consider myself fairly mechanical inclined. My gut tells Those graph wires(1042 xsv) are too small. The length is to long. I run 10 gauge but then you have to tie into a piece of sewing thread!?. How silly is that! 2 strikes out of the gate. Ive got good constance voltage at the connection 12.8. But the graph shows 12.3. Wat do yall think about cutting the power wire lets say half to prevent voltage drop?? Seems all manufacturers use to small of power wires.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

2. Member
    They probably provide longer power cords to cover all different types of installations for all types of boats.
    I cut mine just long enough to reach my terminal block that the #10 feeds.
    Dont know if you will see a difference in voltage in that short piece of wire.
    Where voltage drop comes in play is when you have to run long wires to the power source.
    If we hooked the graph directly to a battery with a 4ft power cord there would be very little voltage drop.

My interpretation of livescope box was if I needed to run bigger wire from the battery I was suppose to shorten the factory sewing line, and I did, it works great in my application.

I wish the manufacturers would use a heavier wire solely so that we have more confidence in our splices.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    The problem lie not in my wiring. Seems to be loosing between one end of the supplied power wire by garmin and the graph. Voltage meter checks proves this.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

5. Member
    What did you end up doing in regards to the original post? I’m getting ready to hook up a 1222 and I want to use 10 gauge wire but that power cable harness looks awfully small

6. Member
    I kept the full length of wire off the graph and crimped it to my 10 gauge with a heat shrink butt splice. I will say this, buy a good crimper!!!!!! I have always used a whatever crimper and bought a good one this time and there is no comparison in the quality of the crimp. This alone made my splices pretty rock solid with 3 new graphs and livescope install. The benefit of the ratcheting crimper is it also holds the splice in place so you can hold the wire where it needs to be. If you want double the smaller wire back over itself in the crimp.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

I run a 93sv+ and LS and a Helix 10 up front. The thin wires are run directly to a 30AH Ionic Lithium. Garmin shows 13.1v all day long. so I guess the thin wire work as designed.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redngoo View Post
    I like to consider myself fairly mechanical inclined. My gut tells Those graph wires(1042 xsv) are too small. The length is to long. I run 10 gauge but then you have to tie into a piece of sewing thread!?. How silly is that! 2 strikes out of the gate. Ive got good constance voltage at the connection 12.8. But the graph shows 12.3. Wat do yall think about cutting the power wire lets say half to prevent voltage drop?? Seems all manufacturers use to small of power wires.
    Since you are not telling us what the total length of wiring is from the battery and to the unit, it is not possible to tell if 10gauge is to small or not. BUT, that last stretch of wiring using the original wire will not cause a 0,5V drop so your issue is somewehere else in your wiring. This might be worth a read: https://teamcolibri.blogspot.com/202...r-my-unit.html

9. Member
    From the battery i have 6 gauge to the console. From the console to the front graph i ran 10 gauge. The voltage drops at the unit. At the wiring at the bow. Voltage is good at the end of the 10 gauge wire, add the connection and it drops. This connection has been tried both ways( butt crimped and soldiered). The length of wire i was concerned about was the power wire that plugs in the graph. I wanted to shorten it.
    Last edited by Redngoo; 09-22-2020 at 05:56 AM.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redngoo View Post
    From the battery i have 6 gauge to the console. From the console to the front graph i ran 10 gauge. The voltage drops at the unit. At the wiring at the bow. Voltage is good at the end of the 10 gauge wire, add the connection and it drops. This connection has been tried both ways( butt crimped and soldiered). The length of wire i was concerned about was the power wire that plugs in the graph. I wanted to shorten it.
    This sounds to me like a damaged wire. Get a multimeter and check the wire continuity. I have a brand new cable i can test for voltage drop right now for comparison if you'd like.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi