Water in Fuel Tank

Need some help with my 2000 200hp Optimax. Motor was working great until I was fishing a few days ago when a wave came over the back of the boat and popped my gas cap up and got 4 beeps from my motor shortly thereafter, which means that water got in the tank.

To repair, I siphoned as much gas out of the tank as I could, connected all the fuel lines back together, and dumped all of the gas out of the fuel filter in my motor. Filled the fuel filter about halfway back up with ga
    s, then mounted the filter back on. Filled the tank with 6 gallons of non-ethanol premium 91 gas and a can of seafoam.

Tried to start the engine and it is turning over but not starting. Any thoughts on how to repair? Here is a picture of the fuel filter.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    On the bottom of your vst you should have two screws on both sides these are drain screws for water. loosen them up & drain your vst bowl. Just loosen one side at a time with a small cup to see what comes out. They have small rubber washers so when you tighten back up do so carefully & do not bear down on drain screw. If you have a primer bulb use it & cycle the key on a few times to fill your vst & pressurize your fuel system. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by klukens01 View Post
    Need some help with my 2000 200hp Optimax. Motor was working great until I was fishing a few days ago when a wave came over the back of the boat and popped my gas cap up and got 4 beeps from my motor shortly thereafter, which means that water got in the tank.

To repair, I siphoned as much gas out of the tank as I could, connected all the fuel lines back together, and dumped all of the gas out of the fuel filter in my motor. Filled the fuel filter about halfway back up with ga
    s, then mounted the filter back on. Filled the tank with 6 gallons of non-ethanol premium 91 gas and a can of seafoam.

Tried to start the engine and it is turning over but not starting. Any thoughts on how to repair? Here is a picture of the fuel filter.

Thanks!
    May not be water, Did you pump the bulb up till firm
    87 only, Ethanol fuel will actually help remove small amounts of water from the tank
    Last edited by lpugh; 06-03-2020 at 08:57 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    I've looked up some videos on how to drain the VST but it seems that every single VST is different than mine (go figure)... Is the drain valve that brass bolt in the bottom of the VST in the first image? Then the hose that I use to drain it is at the bottom of the VST?

5. Member
    Yes it is the bottom brass screw with the regular head screwdriver slot in it. Spray it with something first to loosen the corrosion I think I see.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by klukens01 View Post
    I've looked up some videos on how to drain the VST but it seems that every single VST is different than mine (go figure)... Is the drain valve that brass bolt in the bottom of the VST in the first image? Then the hose that I use to drain it is at the bottom of the VST?
    Some early 3L Optimax engines like yours used the same VST design as the 2.5L engines, clear visual is the spin on fuel filter. Might try posting in the 3L forum (specifically covers your engine) and be sure to include your engine serial number. Lot of very knowledgeable folks there.

Mercury - 3 Liter & 3 Liter High Performance
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving your thread to the 3L Forum. Be sure to update your thread with the Required Info (serial number). Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor