How much setback.

Hey everyone, I need some insight. I have a 96 209 single console with a 2009 250 pro xs I just Baught aND rebuilt, I currently have the factory 10in jack plate, for obvious reasons I want another jack plate but what set back is best, I was thinking about a 14 in rapid jack, is 14 too much ? If so what size is best ? Thank you.
    2000 Tr21, 225 EFI

I’d put a 10”-12” (max), action hack by bobs...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

3. Member
    I'll agree with LSC about the 12" and add 2" spacers to test, you can always remove them.

4. Member
    Thanks guys for the info.. As much as I love my G I am about to my limit on trying to get it set up. I understand chine walk although this is the first boat I have owned that chine walked, I can't seem to calm it down enough to control, it doesn't ease into it , just suddenly wild, I get it it set to where i can drive it then no water pressure.
    2000 Tr21, 225 EFI

5. Member
    Thank you low slung.
    2000 Tr21, 225 EFI

6. Member
    Thank you Lrrsme.
    2000 Tr21, 225 EFI

7. Member
    Never say never, but bad chine walk is RARELY related to set back or pad height. More commonly it's caused by a port to starboard weight imbalance, or deformed or damaged hull in the aft half of the boat (rear). Is the boat leaning to starboard (or port for that matter) enough to be noticeable when you're on plane? Doesn't really matter at what speed as long as you're on plane, just matters whether or not you can notice any lean while you're running. If it's leaning enough to be noticeable at any point then that's enough to make it more difficult to balance on the pad. Yes, most boats tend to lean a little to the starboard, but the point is that the more it's leaning the harder it will be to balance, and past a certain point it will be impossible to balance with steering input alone. Does having a second person to help balance the boat, or one live well full make any difference in the chine walk? Does less trim impact it at a given speed? I'd also check the edges of pad along last 4 feet of the hull. If you have a section where the corners are not as sharp on one side vs the other it can cause the whisker spray coming from that side of the pad to curl up and hit more of the hull on that side. The impact of the spray on the hull will cause additional lift (and drag) on that side of the boat, and if severe enough the resulting imbalance could cause chine walk.
    - Heath

8. Member
    Post more about your setup. Great knowledge on this forum.

Prop, rpm’s, speed, prop to pad, current jackplate (size and hydraulic or manual)

9. Member
    Learning to drive a high performance boat is like catching a unique rabbit - unique up on it! On the 209 hulls they start wanting to chine walk 67-68mph it's around that speed that you actually have to start driving them. So.... slowly approach that speed - sneak up on it. You may feel the boat lift. When that happens is when you have to start driving. Learn to drive it at speeds between 65-70 mph. Don't try to hammer down and learn the fine art of high speed driving from the git-go. Once you can comfortably drive at speeds between 65-70mph THEN... start bumping the speed up. On everything but an empty boat low on fuel the 209 hull preforms best at full trim. If you're running with a really light load it will pay to go full trim then bump it down 3-4 times.

10. Member
    Same goes for the Sterling and the new Gambler hulls. Max speed is often achieved in the 88 to 98% trim range, depending on the combination of fuel and tackle load. You'll often get the best mid-range acceleration (15 to 65'ish mph) with the prop 3.5" or so below pad and full trim, but then to max out the GPS speed you'll need to start bumping the trim down as soon as you feel the prop bite and start trying to carry the bow (usually around 65 - 70). Then when your gains start to plateau on trim alone, start creeping up on the plate until the water pressure drops down to 13-15 psi. Your maximum speed is usually one bump up or down on the trim from that point.
    - Heath

11. Member
    I know it's old post but I'm about to get a 2003 2100dc in mint I mean flawless with a 21 pro xs 4 stroke. I would really like for you to show me how to .if I bring boat to you is that poss a nd I will pay for your time