Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Boating At Night With No Lights

My son and I were on Lake Conroe last night and saw 5 boats on the way back to the marina, maybe a 2-3 mile trip, either with no lighting or incorrect lighting. It's the 4th or 5th night out in a row that I've see more than one boat without any lights whatsoever out on Lake Conroe. I'm seeing more and more boats with blue or some other color LED lights on the rear of the boat also, no white light. Anyone else seeing this a lot? I have had two different nights in the last two weeks that I ran up on boats with no rear lights and came pretty close to them. I talked to the guys in one boat that I came close to, they were in a wakeboard boat, and told them that their rear light wasn't on. He replied his lights were on and I told him the front ones were working but not the white light. He seemed clueless, like he didn't know there was supposed to be any other light except the front ones. Conroe has a ton of houses along the shoreline and with all of the house and business lighting it's a hard lake to navigate at night, especially with incorrect or no lighting on the boats.

I've seen this lighting issue with a lot of bass boats also and especially center console boats. The center console boats I am seeing have some really bright rear facing blue or some other color LED lighting on the t- top or whatever it's called. I've talked to the local Constables office that patrols Lake Conroe and they know it's an issue but I have never seen them out at night patrolling.

Call DNR.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Call DNR.
    The what I was thinking, maybe they can do something. I am surprised I don't ever see the Game Warden throughout the week, only see them on the weekends. The Constables office seems to do most of the patrolling on Conroe.

They do not need any stinking light... Until something bad happens..

5. Member
    I can’t understand why someone would run at night without lights.

6. Banned
    Saw quite a few bass boats this weekend running 30 to 50mph in the dark with no rear light.

I almost ran over 2 guys in a canoe one night. After doing some research they are not required to have any lights at night which seems stupid to me.

Running at night is just plain stupid like running in fog.

I see it all the time

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Running at night is just plain stupid like running in fog.
    I have heard them running full speed on Conroe when it is so foggy you can barely see the front tip of your boat.

P01135809

Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    I have heard them running full speed on Conroe when it is so foggy you can barely see the front tip of your boat.
    yep heard it too.......... still dumb. Especailly on a river like the Hudson with big Barges.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    I almost ran over 2 guys in a canoe one night. After doing some research they are not required to have any lights at night which seems stupid to me.
    President in my old bass club hit and killed a kayaker on Norman at night. No lights on the kayak. That was the last night tournament we held until he passed away.

Then we have the bubba's in their duct tape ranger's running with either no stern light, or one that's so dim it's useless anyways, and their front nav lights are so faded they look white. I almost went head on with one of these boats at night on Norman. I couldn't tell if he was coming towards me or going away.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    President in my old bass club hit and killed a kayaker on Norman at night. No lights on the kayak. That was the last night tournament we held until he passed away.

Then we have the bubba's in their duct tape ranger's running with either no stern light, or one that's so dim it's useless anyways, and their front nav lights are so faded they look white. I almost went head on with one of these boats at night on Norman. I couldn't tell if he was coming towards me or going away.
    I think Norman would scare me running at night. Too many idiots.

14. Member
    I never run at night anymore, but when I used to I'd put a piece of black electrical tape on the front of my stern light.
    Without it, you be blinded when looking back.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

15. Member
    I hate the blue lights on these new pontoons, my lord are they way way to bright and throws you off.

16. Member
    Man I love night fishing in the summer time. I'm not sure I could give it up, but everyone should have lights and be as safe as possible.

17. Member
    maybe they believe they have automatic lights???

seriously, I get so p.o.'d that auto drivers think their automatic lights are on in fog or rain. It's particular susceptible for Ford or Dodge vehicles.

18. Banned
    Just another reason I hate night fishing. Lol. I have a hard enough time seeing in the daytime.

I had this one in my old 911 CDC. That was the ticket for making sure others could see you. If stationary I just kept it pointing lower to the water.

2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Enough people have been killed on that lake at night u think they would patrol it heavier.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast