Re power question

I have a 2006 stratos 285 proxl. My 2006 yammie 150 vmax is fading and i am thinking of repowering with a 4 stroke. The dry weight on my yammie is listed at 418lbs. The new suzuki i am looking at is 518 lbs. At 100lbs heavier i am sure it will slow it down and sit lower. What other issues could there be ? Is there an engine weight rating on the transom ?
    I don't always find schooling fish but when I do I backlash on the first cast

2. Member
    I have a 295 Stratos Pro Elite. I just hung a 200DF Suzuki on the back on a 6 inch jack plate, which stresses the transom further and changes the fulcrum distance. My boat is rated for a 200, and if yours is I suggest you consider going the biggest motor you can afford. Mine does ride kind of bow high at fast idle. If I plane it it levels right out. I'm still breaking mine in so I am only allowed to hit 4000 RPM right now.
    Why not post this on our Suzuki forum?

3. Member
    There's no engine weight rating for the transom. FYI, if you look at the dry weight for 150HP 4 strokes, Mercury Pro XS is 456lbs while the Yamaha SHO is 480 lbs. Are you looking at the 150SS or 150A? The 150SS has a 2.00:1 gear ratio that's similar to what Mercury and Yamaha run in their 150HP outboards.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

4. Member
    My boat is only rated for a 150HP. I do have a 6 inch jackplate. I never thought about the engine weight until a friend mentioned it. 100 lbs a big jump. I am looking at the Suke 150SS with the new gear ratio. The merc in-line 4 weighs in at 455 lbs. I am not a merc fan due to previous issues on my last boat but it may be my better option if the weight is an issue ?

5. Member
    I really don't think that weight will that be big of an issue, especially if you are not running Power Poles or Talons.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

6. Member
    Why switch brands? Rigging is expensive.

What about the 150 SHO? 480lbs. only a 60lb jump from the vmax.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post

I like the yammies but they are so much more $$$ at about $5G difference and given the year of my boat i passed on them. My boats in good shape and I plan to keep it another 5 years or so. Just tired of dumping $500 to $1000 into my 150 Vmax like I have the last few years, it has been great engine but probably has 2000 hours on it given how much i fish

There are no weight ratings for transoms, if you want to see what the extra 100 pounds of weight will do to the attitude and speed of the boat, strapp a 100 pound bag of dog food to the back deck and go run it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    There are no weight ratings for transoms, if you want to see what the extra 100 pounds of weight will do to the attitude and speed of the boat, strapp a 100 pound bag of dog food to the back deck and go run it.
    Or just use one of those yeti coolers.

10. Member
    Have you priced Team C&O Marine 888-868-0361? They sell loose engines shipped and may bring that price within striking distance.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post

That’s what I was thinking not to mention Suzuki dealers ain’t that prevalent.
    J. D

Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    I really don't think that weight will that be big of an issue, especially if you are not running Power Poles or Talons.
    Actually 100 lbs on the back of that boat will make a big difference. I've had 3 Stratos 285's in different years, 1 was an 06 same as the OP and they all sat nose high at rest. Transom sat really low and I was always trying to move weight out of the rear to get it to sit more level. No way I'd add another 100 lbs on the back of a 285.

13. Member
    Too compensate / counter for extra weight on the transom, could you move some batteries forward?

14. Banned
    I repowered my ranger z118 with a Yamaha f150lb and I actually think the Yamaha weighs les then the opti pro xs I replaced. The Yamaha has less punch then the opti had but once up on plane the speed is very close. I'm happy with the swap.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainslinger1959 View Post
    That’s what I was thinking not to mention Suzuki dealers ain’t that prevalent.
    J. D
    I got two Yammie quotes and they are about $4 G higher than the suk when adding in the install. Still debating and thanks for the input

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    I repowered my ranger z118 with a Yamaha f150lb and I actually think the Yamaha weighs les then the opti pro xs I replaced. The Yamaha has less punch then the opti had but once up on plane the speed is very close. I'm happy with the swap.
    The F150' are bullet proof. Looks like they weigh in at 480Lbs.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southfork View Post
    I got two Yammie quotes and they are about $4 G higher than the suk when adding in the install. Still debating and thanks for the input
    Well if he got a quote there must be dealers nearby.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Southfork View Post
    The F150' are bullet proof. Looks like they weigh in at 480Lbs.
    They get good reviews, I picked a 2016 non current for a good deal with 6 year warranty. I liked my old opti but it just needed too much attention and left me stranded a few times for silly reasons. This Yamaha doesn't make a sound, zero smoke, fires up one shot every time ( had it out this season in cold mornings and zero issue starting up). And the best part is maintenance is so easy... to the OP look for a Yamaha if you can you will save a few bucks on controls and stuff. I was looking for a merc 4s but they were just too expensive compared to the Yamaha I found. The extra cost of rigging was nothing compared to the cost different between the merc and Yamaha...

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    Too compensate / counter for extra weight on the transom, could you move some batteries forward?
    Agree. Move trolling motor batteries forward and onboard charger if you have it.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB